cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being common does not make Internet Explorer popular

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Being common does not make Internet Explorer popular

On reflection, I think that most these replies have been on-topic.
They are merely further examples of situations where the quality of a product or service is not in proportion to its market share.
But, some of those examples were expressed as raves rather than rants.
However, the moderator has spoken...
Highlighted
Grafter

Think the point Roger was making was that it was not related to PN which is what that section is reserved for
Highlighted
Grafter

Okay dokey. Thanks for clarifying.
Ranting tends to be done through a red mist...
...and it gets in my eyes.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

JohnJ
Sorry for your thread going off topic
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: techguy
Think the point Roger was making was that it was not related to PN which is what that section is reserved for

Thanks techguy.. you beat me to it lol
Moderating is never easy.. can't please all of you all of the time, only some people some of the time Wink
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Quote from: 4Candles
Quote from: Mark
For a moment there I thought I was reading the general chat forum Smiley

I blame jelv.   Wink

Don't blame me! - I don't think this topic was ever appropriate to the Rants and raves forum which is described as:
This board is specifically for Rants and Raves relating to Plusnet products or services. This is not the place to discuss problems with other companies or for offtopic conversations.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: JohnJ
Why do folk keep referring to Internet Explorer as "popular"?
I don't believe that most people use it by choosing it rather than a different browser.

Back on topic John!
I heartily agree with you. I know that most of my extensive family- brothers, sisters, children, grandchildren-  use IE only because it was there on their computer. Usually they are not even aware enough to know that there are other (much better) browsers. And even if they do, they wouldn't be confident enough to change without help.
As a result, IE still have the bulk of the market and Microsoft exploit that by saying it is the most popular. Just because for most users they don't know of the alternatives.
I use Firefox, which IE is continually trying to catch up with  in functionality. But it also works on all OSs, not just Windows. And there are other alternatives that are better than IE.
Highlighted
Grafter

Well having just looked at that advert, can any one tell me what the expression "I'm a PC" means  Embarrassed Embarrassed Undecided Undecided
Highlighted
Grafter

MS can claim that IE is popular because Mr and Mrs Joe Average who pick up a box from PC World (don't there are any large dealers anymore) won't know anything about Forefox/Opera and so will just browse with IE.
From personal experience in my day job a good majority don't know what a browser is!
I ask them to open a browser and the question comes back "what's a browser?" I then proceed to explain but you can tell that lightbulb in their head is a dud so will never light in a million years so I end up saying to them "do what you would ordinarily do to look at someone on the net" at which point they defer to the 'wisdom' of their kid.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Sorry for contributing to the thread veering off topic.  I have to agree with Heloman.  People buy a product with IE installed and generally don't feel confident to change.  In my own way I do the same.  I have just bought a new laptop and immediately installed Firefox but felt unsure of other browsers out there. Wink
Highlighted
Grafter

@techguy. I agree about the user support conversation. While I like to try to provide background information about their computer, it is often better just to take control, fix the problem and tell them what to try to avoid in future. Some on them not only don't know what Internet Explorer, Firefox etc is, they think the internet is whatever home page is configured on their PC.
For some users their most popular browser could be Google, even if they are using Firefox.
So, I wouldn't blame the users.
However, people who publish on websites or write articles about browsers should know better than to use the term "popular". A search for the term "popular browser" soon shows up lots of examples of folk who understand the meaning of the word "popular".
Highlighted
Grafter

true about Google, my last referral only had the Google browser on his new Toshiba, or so he thought, as the Google Search was set as his home page, took a lot of convincing to sort him out.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Highlighted
Grafter

Oh to be able to use remote assistance!
I've told my boaa on numerous occasions it would cut our call time down by at least half as we could just get in, do what needs doing to get the software running or whatever browser setting tweaked  and onto the next but won't do it because is concerned that people could allege that we messed up their PC.
Following on from a project undertaken by one of our supervisors (who couldn't fix a PC if you bashed him over the head with an A+ manual but is hot on management) we have a bizarre situation where we can ask to view the person's desktop but cant do a thing so are left going "left a bit, right a bit, double left click, no left not right"
I'm hoping to pass my cisco with flying colours as I really want out of desktop support as when its done like that its the fast track to a mental health unit!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

how many of the people you help think that their browser is the operating system?
how many of your users don't know what an operating system is?
how long does it take to persuade your users to not click on everything in sight?
after looking after a friend's computer (with win me) for several months, i got so fed up that i put pclinuxos on it and have hardly heard a word since, except relief at not having to nurse the os.  if all your users are doing is surfing, emailing and playing around with office software, you can put linux on their machines and the only difference they'll notice is that it doesn't crash at the drop of a hat.
Highlighted
Grafter

I'd say most to all of those questions but the software I support does not work under anything (and I do mean anything) other than Windows.
I am also not permitted to recommend anything or express any opinion whatsoever, just to get the software working or collect info for the developers.
Although I love my technology and have bery strong opinions, at work I just keep my mouth shut and do what I have to do in exchange for a salary as speaking your mind where I work just invites aggrevation.
Am just studying hard and am hoping in the not too distant future to go it alone as am  fed up of dancing to someone else's tune