cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beggars To Be Grassed Up To DWP On New Scheme, Can The Salvation Army Sink Any L

TORPC
Grafter

Beggars To Be Grassed Up To DWP On New Scheme, Can The Salvation Army Sink Any L

ower
[quote= http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11334266.Joint_fight_against_beggars_in_York/]THE Salvation Army, council workers and the police have joined forces in a drive to stop begging on the streets in York.
Representatives from all three will be on patrol as part of a new scheme launched yesterday to combat what they call intimidating illegal begging.
The Salvation Army is accredited to give housing advice and will be offering that to people begging on the streets, while police and council staff, who will be reminding people that begging is against the law.
Charles Malarkey, who works at York Citadel Salvation Army, said the church wanted to be there for people in need.
7 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Beggars To Be Grassed Up To DWP On New Scheme, Can The Salvation Army Sink Any L

its just a shame this isn't a national initiative, being harassed for change often in menacing ways is not a nice experience, I have no problem with seeing buskers but seeing an area teeming with beggars (many of whom have a place to live and are in receipt of benefits) isn't nice, if someone is truly in need then offering them help and advice cannot be a bad thing and clearing up the people just after more hand-outs for nothing cannot be done soon enough (there was a news report some time back about one individual who drove a merc and put on his beggar gear in a car park before taking up a prime spot that funded his lifestyle needs as well as being in receipt of state aid)
initiative like this do have a positive effect on the local area, they allow those truly in need to gain a licence and minimise the unsavoury behaviour of some individuals which in turn increases traffic flow and the economic prospects for those who have a permit, such things improve matter for all concerned far more often than they don't ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Beggars To Be Grassed Up To DWP On New Scheme, Can The Salvation Army Sink Any L

The issue is the BIG ISSUE that no-one really wants
& tbh I have only ever seen people from other countries of origin selling the BIG ISSUE
nanotm
Pro

I've seen loads of British nationals selling and its a valuable source of legal income for many that helps them reintegrate into society, I've even bought a few copies over the years
to me the problem is the often intoxicated aggressive walking infestation centres shaking cups with menace for cash, half of them are on benefits already (as has been proven by the numbers getting arrested and prosecuted for falsely claiming benefits)
but the old approach of heavy handed policing to "clear them off the streets" wasn't helpful to those genuinely in need, which is why a charity lead approach that offers help advice and combats the problem is a far better and more long term approach to sorting things out, coupling that with legal sanctions against law breakers and giving them "free room n board" will hopefully ensure that those who do wish to get help to get back on there feet will receive both compassion and aid whilst hose unwilling to accept such help will be dealt with accordingly, unfortunately as it isn't a one size fits all solution it might also spur local authorities into recreating the facilities to provide proper carer and help to those suffering from mental illness which will also protect them from the thugs and unnecessary violence of life on the streets
TORPC
Grafter

Where do you think the funding will come from for
Quote from: nanotm
<snip>
unfortunately as it isn't a one size fits all solution it might also spur local authorities into recreating the facilities to provide proper carer and help to those suffering from mental illness which will also protect them from the thugs and unnecessary violence of life on the streets

I agree that the violence comes from the very people that do not / will not understand / accept homelessness as it actually is, & one can not predict (who what where / when & why they will strike at the vulnerable people of our society) or (if it can be stamped out / minimised with educative tools, starting in schools)
While these BIG ISSUE beggars need to be stamped out, a much needed better approach is required to treat the true homeless as fair as the rest of us
I know what it is like to be homeless & the councils / housing authorities never see homeless people as a priority for housing, & until that changes then the homeless will most likely get stuck in a rut until, some kind citizen take them under their wing.
ATM homeless people are treated as dirty / smelly & rude / obnoxious / beggars etc
Until society changes for the better then, the situation will remain appealing appalling to say the least
nanotm
Pro

I hope you meant appalling not appealing,
the problems surrounding homelessness are multitude, certainly not enough is taught about it in schools (I have hope that a proposal about the things to be contained in the citizenship (R.E.) syllabus will start to combat this though) but similarly there are no facilities to cater for those with mental problems as adults, and little or nothing to be gained from trying to educate them or offer them help with benefit applications without treating the underlying conditions, for those who are victim of circumstance there isn't enough help in some areas, the last district I lived in refused help to anyone it deemed had contributed to there circumstances (which meant if you quit your job and became unable to pay your bills or moved out of an untenable property without being evicted and without anywhere to go) the current district only refuses help if you deliberately did something to have yourself made homeless (like being a trouble maker that got evicted, or failing to pay your rent despite receiving money to do so) everyone else who asks and is deemed to have a duty to be housed is helped in some way, but that help does get withdrawn if you fail to follow some basic rules (like you must bid on CBL properties that meet your needs every time they are on the property list) or if you are a problem occupant in the homeless hotel (so called because they only take in people via the council homeless help system) or if you break there rules (like getting high and being loud or abusive).
there are so many facets to the problem though it would be impossible to cater for all problem groups (some are minor and others are massive of course) but in general its also area dependant, some areas have differing problems on the same theme to others, we get a lot of tramps round here (in the traditional sense of the word) who do curl up under bridges etc when they cant find work and nice hay loft to kip in ....
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
I hope you meant appalling not appealing,
<snip>

I did indeed, well spotted Wink & now amended
nanotm
Pro

I thought as much but wasn't entirely sure so figured I'd best ask in the interests of clarity  Cool