cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beetle Drive

N/A

Beetle Drive

Beetles were under discussion on our local radio station today and Rony couldn't remember the rules of the beetle drive.
Sadly, neither could I, although I used to enjoy playing.
We used to have a regular beetle drive at the our local church when I was just a child. I recall that we had paper and pencil and that there were small tables (4 persons at each) and we moved tables. Of course, my memory might be totally gone and I could be quite wrong.
What I would like to know is, does anyone remember these and if so, what were the rules?  Huh
6 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Beetle Drive

Great fun beetle drives!
You have to start with a six on your dice - should be 4 at table. The more tables the better.
Once you get a six you can draw the beetle body [oval], the you add other parts according to what the dice shows.  5 is the head, 4 are legs [and you need 4], 3 is tail, 2 is feelers and 1 is eyes [so you need it twice].
Once the beetle is complete you shout "beetle" and everyone in room stops and counts up points.  Normally the winner at table moves clockwise and the loser moves anticlockwise and you start again trying to get a 6!
Usually have a sheet divided into 12 squares at least but can play more games if you wish I am sure.
If you don't win or loose then you can spend the whole Drive sitting at the same table!  Otherwise if you do well with the dice you can keep moving.  It gets very tense though when you get to the stage that you need a 1 or 2 to finish and you keep getting the 6s that you had problems getting at the beginning!!
There is usually a simple prize for winner [chocolates!] and a booby prize for the person with lowest score.
Where I used to live we had regular Beetle Drives to raise funds for the Church Hall - we would each pay £1 for the evning and that would include  a cup of tea and a biscuit.  Big night out!! Grin
N/A

Wonderful - thanks so much for that. Yes, it was a 'big night out'. Simple pleasures are always the best.
Maybe someone could transfer it to the virtual world, although it wouldn't be so much fun.
I think that I will email Rony now to let him know.
Lurker
Grafter

4 legs on a beetle.
Really?
Thought they were insects...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beetle_%28game%29
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
4 legs on a beetle.
Really?

Some Beetle Drive organisers insist on 6 legs actually!    but quite often we played for 4 legs.  Never played when you had to get wings!
Lurker
Grafter

No - I never remembered wings either, but I think we always needed 6 legs.
I guess it makes little difference really, so long as everybody is doing the same thing.
Maybe with more people its worth playing the shorter game with 4 legs, and a longer version for fewer people?
Good memories though either way.
N/A

I think that we will have to defer to the beetle drive expert, jmdlp as to the number of legs required.
Glad to see that the subject has conjured up happy memories though.