Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beeching reopenings..

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Beeching reopenings..

Well the government has said it's gonna put £500m into reopening some of Dr Beechings axed lines.

Not the largest amount IMO but better than nothing. The real question though is should this be a one off investment or should this be a continuous program that operates every year?

Maybe Network Rail should be officially tasked with reopening as many lines as possible?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
45 REPLIES 45
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Re: Beeching reopenings..

Ideally the money should be in the billions with yearly statutory investment commitments funded by the track operator and open as many viable lines as possible.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Well one line earmarked for opening is the Poulton to Fleetwood line......

I can see no commercial advantage in that, there is a good and quick road from Poulton to Fleetwood and good bus and tram links from Blackpool to Fleetwood.

The money could be better used elsewhere.

Fleetwood is a poor area, can't see many people there using a more expensive train to travel.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

TBH I don't know what to think. ISTM that much track bed will have been built over, making great improvements unlikely. Also manyof the closed lines were pretty slow and bad. They were from a time that few had cars, and the cars' coming has altered travel patterns enoromously.

Edit.

Is this something offered, that is to impress without intention to have substance?🤔

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Beeching was tasked with closing down lines that were no longer profitable and for good or bad , that is exactly what he did despite protests at the time. 

Different times and as rural lines closed more cars hit the roads to compensate.

Surprised? Well we shouldn't have been and if we are going to get those gas guzzling SUV's and the like off the road and folks back on rail then so be it, and not before time. More money into existing services and millions more to open up those old ones. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

I watched a prog about Beeching and the closures.... on quite a few lines, the "statistics" were "faked" to put it in modern parlance...  various things were brought in to play once a line was earmarked for statistic appraisal... such as... station master`s going on holiday, and some ticket staff being "off sick"  for a week... signalmen being late on shift, causing delays to trains already running.. engines not properly cleaned and serviced for the next day`s work schedule..   signalman/guards lamp oil, being in short supply ...

a lot of small stuff like that.. over the period, meant that trains were cancelled... ran late.. were slower than usual.. causing backlog or engines being in the wrong place...

All these small things reduced the "traffic" load on the line... reduced passenger numbers. inefficient freight transport, due to stoppage of trains.. etc... which reduced the income ...annd made it "look" as tough it was not viable.. 

It was not all " as proper " as you would expect.... 

Not saying that this is true of "all" the closed lines...but many of the rural one`s were given this treatment.

Regardless of the number of cars on the roads now... there has been a significant increase in the number of passengers on trains.. freight traffic is also on the up.... bringing back some of the "loop" lines, could relieve the pressure on the overworked mainlines... and give alternative routes when lines need to be closed for maintainance.. Trains in the "commuter" areas are too short for the capacity they take... standing room only is common on these routes.... the reason?  platforms are too short now...   and planning permission and availability of land at either end of stations is at a premium...

7up
Community Veteran

@Luzern wrote:

Is this something offered, that is to impress without intention to have substance?🤔

The labour party seemed to think on the telly today that this would fund around 25 miles of track. That would be £20million per mile. I can't help but think that's a bit steep. Sure if you've got embankments to rebuild, tunnels to demolish and rebuild and compulsory purchase orders of land that was once railway then it might be realistic.. but dropping a load of ballast on an existing track bed, rails and then more ballast... really? - £20million per mile? - It certainly isn't costing heritage lines that much.

7up
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Beeching was tasked with closing down lines that were no longer profitable and for good or bad , that is exactly what he did despite protests at the time. 

Thing is some lines were. One right by me was earmarked to be closed because it was not profitable. Despite that it apparently was and so to save face one track was ripped up to save maintenance costs on it and it's remained a single track line for many miles ever since. You try getting on that dinky little 2 carriage train these days - you'll be lucky to even get a seat.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

I recall at the time Beeching axed the lines railway travel was far too expensive for the ordinary people.

7up
Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

Trains in the "commuter" areas are too short for the capacity they take... standing room only is common on these routes.... the reason?  platforms are too short now...  

Funny you say that.. i remember as a kid in the 80s trains would be 4, 8 or 12 cars in length. On the odd occasion you'd see a 5 or 6 car formation but mostly it was divisible by 4. They fitted into most of the platforms along the route. Now many trains are much shorter but still stopping at those same platforms... Reason being they've crammed in far more seats so that they're like busses - more passengers to a carriage thus less carriages needed but the platforms have not been reduced in length..

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@7up 

Hence those protests at the time which I remember.

Profit before provision seemed to take centre stage, but then it was under Harold 'you've never had it so good' Macmillan and something else I remember from that time.

Wales where we now live was decimated as was Scotland and the north. Never had it so bad as it turned out and what a legacy of years it left. 

Back on track, back on rail, and we'll all be better for - just be on standby as all those cyclists and walkers react in undisguised horror as those old routes are reclaimed and reopened... fingers crossed.

Champnet
Champion

Also many trains, especially those arriving in London, end up in a terminus meaning they have nowhere to go except back.  Each arriving train blocks a platform whilst it's emptied, cleaned and reloaded. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

Expensive, really?

Not in my memory and when it cost just 4/6d return East Croydon London Bridge or Victoria! Mind you, that Brighton line was always going to be safe from any axe!

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@7up wrote:

£20million per mile? - It certainly isn't costing heritage lines that much.

Compare that with the ( present ) cost of HS2 at about £405million per mile and it looks like a real bargain....

Champnet
Champion

@Minivanman  3rd class ?