cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beds

MightyMouse
Grafter

Beds

Can't remember how long I've had my bed but I've decided it's about time that I bought a new one.
There's been a lot of talk about this memory foam being the mattress to have, but on phoning  one supplier he advised me against, saying that they can be very warm to sleep on.
It does seem to be quite a mine field out there these days.
I just want a good quality  double bed (divan) that  is comfortable  and will give me a good nights sleep .
Can anybody give me some advise on what to go for  ?
Thanking you in advance.
19 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Beds

I've heard that too about memory foam.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I've got one, and 'tis true - I wouldn't have another one.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Go to a local bed store - lay on the mattresses and try them out. Talk to the sales guys/gals.
When they start talking price ask about the extra's: 5/10 year "insurance", mattress delivery charge, old mattress collection charge. Then you'll have a proper idea of the price.
I prefer pocket sprung (at least 1000 for double bed) and make sure the mattress is reversible (turn it over when one side wears or gets "damp").
Pretty soon they'll mention a special offer provided you buy today/end of week etc., At that point walk away and check prices etc on internet and other stores. Always ask the availability of the mattress before you commit, they are rarely in-stock.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@4C, thanks for that.  I'm looking to buy a new bed and you've confirmed what I'd heard about memory foam.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

there are more than one type of memory foam, there is an expensive NASA one where if you drop a ball onto it, it doesnt bounce, just make an impression in the mattress, which soon disapears  when you take the ball away
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The NHS recently supplied SWMBO with a pressure-relief mattress -double size- and I have to admit its very very comfortable (and cool) They are available to buy if you want one, just lays on top of the existing mattress. Tight fitted sheets can make the corners curl up a bit though when fitted fresh but soon flatten out.
Only disadvantage is (for Mrs P) is that it can't be used with her beloved electric under-blanket. May have to consider an over-blanket this coming winter, dual control!! I cannot abide getting into a warm bed.
edit: PS. can over-blankets be used successfully  inside a duvet cover does anybody know?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

Another one who got memory foam 4 yrs ago and now would prefer not to have it!  Mine gets very warm so if you have one do not put a quilted mattress protector over it as that adds to the warmth!!
When I can afford it I am getting a new mattress.
MightyMouse
Grafter

Many thanks for your replies but I still don't know what to do.
Went for a hair cut this morning & the hairdresser has memory foam & said she wouldn't be without it .
The lady sitting in the next chair said the same.
She also said not to go for the mattress topper, but go for the full mattress.
hmarshy
Grafter

Then I could complicate the matter even more by mentioning the fact that you can have warm and cool sided mattresses. I have one and love it. In spring when it's just getting a bit warm in bed I turn the mattress over for the cool side and then vice versa in autumn/winter.
As AlaricAdair mentioned you just have to go to a local bed shop or department store and try out a few mattresses - don't forget your PJs!  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We got aDunlowpillow mattress about 4 years ago, It's not memory foam or a sprung mattress either it's made from Latex Rubber (no jokes please)
Seems they make these mattresses by heating the rubber, forcing air through the rubber and then freezing it to keep the bubbles (or air space in)
Not a cheap option but it's something you are likely to be using for at least 10 years and the older you get the more comfort you need (or at least I need)
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

I was told that you should change your mattress every 5 years, not every 10 years by a bed shop.
Community Veteran

It is generally accepted that mattresses should be changed every 10 years.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

So why did the shop say that mattresss should  be changed every 5 years to me?
This shop is not a smol bed shop it has shops in other towns.
Community Veteran

Maybe they were trying to convince you to buy. Wink
A friend who sells beds says the general advice is to change at least every 10 years - it depends on use.