http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35418488
Rule does need to be applied using more discretion IMHO
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Bedroom Tax

@nadger,
Fully agree with you about that.
It would have made more sense for the government to have made allowances for those with special circumstances such as the cases mentioned to be excluded from the bedroom tax.
If the government want to raise more cash how about the bedroom tax being extended to private houses with more than 4 bedrooms ?
Who needs more than 4 bedrooms ? I guess the majority of the population live in 1 to 3 bedroom houses.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

What you mean I can't have my menagerie in my spare 10 bedrooms ? ;-)
Only joking I live in a 2 bed house.
I've never looked into it since it didn't apply to us.
Community Veteran

But someone living in a 4 bedroom privately owned home will have paid fro it themselves.  Undecided Undecided
Fixes: 47

Not much sympathy from Mr Cameron in PMQ currently.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Strat - I'll wait to see what Brillo says on Daily Politics  Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 47

Here we go Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
But someone living in a 4 bedroom privately owned home will have paid fro it themselves.  Undecided Undecided

True, but I did say more than 4 bedrooms, if you have 5 bedrooms or more then what's a few extra pounds a week in tax for that extra room, I guess almost everybody living in a house with 5 or more bedrooms is hardly short of a few pounds, if they are the bedroom could be rented out to cover the tax ?
Community Veteran

I don't follow your argument. If someone is living in a 4, 5 or even 6 bedroom house why should they pay a bedroom tax on a property which they have paid for from their own income. Remember they will already to contributing more in council tax for having a larger property.

itsme
Grafter

It's not a tax it's a reduction in benefits so privately own homes does not come into the debate.
Steve
Pro

The bedroom tax is an absolute disgrace, as is this tory government for going to appeal an appeal. Accept defeat and serve your people and just abolish it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

So an immigrant family with a six bedroom house rented in Kensington London  on Housing Benefit should not see a reduction in benefit payments if they are only using four of those bedrooms?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
alanj
Grafter

How many immigrant families are there renting a six bedroom house in Kensington on housing benefit but only using four of those bedrooms?
Are there any?
And why do you think it matters whether they are immigrants?
Fixes: 123

Quote from: gleneagles
If the government want to raise more cash how about the bedroom tax being extended to private houses with more than 4 bedrooms ?
I assume you meant those renting privately.
Those of us renting privately are assessed according the Local Housing Allowance (LHA). For example my wife and I rent a two bedroom property but we only get Housing benefit based on a 1 bedroom property. As I see it the reduction in benefits for those living in council or social housing just puts things in line with those renting privately.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In the scenario given there is only one family. I'm not expecting the property to house more than one family.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.