Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Bedroom Tax..doesn't stop there

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="The Sunday Times"]
Dining rooms may be taxed
DINING rooms, praised by the government as crucial to family cohesion, may become subject to David Cameron’s controversial “bedroom tax”. Councils will be allowed to classify dining rooms as bedrooms for the purposes of the new tax, which comes into force next month.
Under the reform, families will have the amount of benefit they can claim cut if they are considered to have a spare room in their council or housing association home. The so-called “under-occupation penalty” is designed to encourage people to move into smaller accommodation to make way for bigger families.
Tenants will be able to choose whether they want to pay extra rent — an average of £14 a week — or move into smaller accommodation.
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has admitted that councils will have discretion to classify dining rooms as bedrooms. “The definition of a room is a matter for the social landlord and

Rest of article blocked by subscription

I can not post what I think of this, I would be arrested.  Angry
34 REPLIES
Blim
Grafter

Re: Bedroom Tax..doesn't stop there

Time for another riot  Sad
nadger
Rising Star

One wonders how many people actually have a dining room these days.
I know that the bedroom tax only applies to social housing but the two houses we've owned since 1969 have had a kitchen/diner and a lounge. One was built in 1962 and the other in 1975.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Next they will be offering a discount if you have a second toilet, in a scheme to be called "BOGOF".
The contract will be full of perforations and won't be worth the (toilet) paper it's written on !
In addition because of the "war on terror", they will insist your bath and sinks must me tapped ! 
This country is going down the plug hole !
nadger
Rising Star

Bet you're flushed with success after that post  Cool
Community Veteran

Are you pulling my chain ?
I just had to get it out of my cistern !
Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

Careful not to go a wee bit too far  Wink
Community Veteran

Don't stop me now !, I'm on a (toilet) roll, and plumbing new depths !  Crazy
Fixes: 125

I hope when you've finished you'll wash your hands of the whole affair  Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Don't give me that flannel - wash your mouth out with soap, are you suggesting that I should throw in the towel ?
Cheesy
Fixes: 47

On a more serious note I know of a couple with two children, a young boy and a baby girl.
They live in a two bedroom council flat and who would love it if single people or couples they know would move out of their under used 3 bedroom houses and gave them a chance of a decent living space.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Quote from: purleigh
...are you suggesting that I should throw in the towel ?
Cheesy

Not at all, just don't want this thread to sink to new depths but let's not pull the plug just yet Cool
Back to the serious side... again.
While I understand what you are saying Strat, why should  a couple (for example) who have lived in the same house for many years, brought up their own children there, have many memories both happy and sad have to either move out or start paying extra for the privilege of continuing their lives as they wish in the same property?
Whatever happened to an Englishman's home is his castle?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 47

I take your point Mav, it's a tough old world we live in.
They are thinking of young couples they know about who don't look after the property they rent from the council and are months behind in their rent and so deeply in debt they have little chance of paying the arrears yet continue their residency.
As I said...a tough old world...
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Yes, it's about where does the line get drawn.
As usual, though, it's those that have respected the rules that will get clobbered rather than those who have abused the system.
Those that disrespect their property (we're talking rented don't forget so it's not really theirs) should be kicked out on to the streets to let others have a chance. But that will never happen.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well I ain't keen on this idea and I believe most of you know where I stand with big corporations and government trying to make life a misery BUT something DOES need to be done about people living in big places with small families when others need that space but can't get hold of it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!