cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bed & Breakfast

Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

Bed & Breakfast

Watching some progs on the telly, it seems that the price of B&B depends on th size of the owners ego. !

some prices are absolutely ridiculous,... ( i.e anything over £50 per couple for one night ).. and I think that is pretty extortionate  but... modern times I suppose.

We used to run a small guest house/b&b in North Wales... it was rated 5 star by the AA and also the Welsh Tourist board... We both had Gold Awards for hosting from Welst Tourist board... and we charged £50.00 per room per night.

What would you expect to pay for one night`s accomodation for two people, including breakfast.

I am talking "reasonable" prices..

taking into consideration what is actually being offered... i.e a nice clean bed... a nice clean room,.. with en-suite facility... and a decent breakfast...

The fact that it is "in the national park"  " right in the middle of the city"... or whatever location... really should not come into the factoring of prices...

21 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 52

Re: Bed & Breakfast

For the right B&B in the right location I'd pay up to £125 per room per night, but It would have to be very nice.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
ffox
Rising Star

We spend a couple of nights away most months, usually in hotels rather than B&B.  Prices tend to be in the £80 - £100 range.

Before I retired I worked away from home for a while, staying in an excellent B&B in Surrey.  I've just checked their prices - they charge £60 per room.  It's only a few miles from Gatwick, so that's pretty good 

Last year we stayed in a bijou B&B in the countryside near Lowestoft.  That was £110; it was very "pretty" (lots of extra cushions on the bed, fresh flowers and designer toiletries etc.) but was no more comfortable than eg a Jury's Inn. Unfortunately the proprietor wouldn't leave us in peace at breakfast time and maintained a boring monologue about people he knew etc.  We weren't happy, but a couple of friends stayed there later and thought it was superb. People tastes, expectations and budgets vary!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Well if that's all it is just a clean bed and a decent breakfast then £50 tops sounds about right but really, it's more than that in many cases especially if it's a holiday type thing rather than just an on route one night stopover. 

You'd expect to pay more in central London or Paris than Blackpool for example or a long weekend in say Bath. Some of those I stayed in during the 60s when 'out on the road' were truly appalling - not as bad as above the tripe shop in Wigan Pier, but not far off! 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@shutter wrote:

some prices are absolutely ridiculous,... ( i.e anything over £50 per couple for one night ).. and I think that is pretty extortionate  but... modern times I suppose.

We used to run a small guest house/b&b in North Wales... it was rated 5 star by the AA and also the Welsh Tourist board... We both had Gold Awards for hosting from Welst Tourist board... and we charged £50.00 per room per night....

It might be an eye-opener to see what the £50 you charged then would be roughly equivalent to nowWink

Only you know when then was, but if you put that info into a calculator such as this one ... Huh

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Just remembered one time I stayed in a B&B and at breakfast one chap (who shall remain nameless) said he'd like to complain about his shared room. "Well why, whatever's the matter" the landlady said. "Well whenever I go to pee in the sink" he replied, "somebody has been tipping tea leaves in it!".

True story, and it  gave us all a laugh - including that landlady. Funny

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman  Funny

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Champnet
Aspiring Pro

B&B and Hotel both holiday and commercial will charge as much as they think they can away with.

Supply & Demand. Depending on seasonal trade  if it’s very busy the price goes up if not then the price goes down.

Community Veteran

The last B&B I used was a very long time ago when things were a couple of quid.

I remember there was another door in my room and when I had a look in there, there was an old man asleep in a bed.

I spent most of the night listening for a door creak. And to all the rustling scurrying noises coming from one end of the room.

They did a nice breakfast though the milk seemed a bit watered down.

The next night I slept soundly in my old Fiat parked in a grassy field behind a hedge.Smiley

Community Veteran

Taking in guests is no bed of roses.

We allow guests to bring their pets to our holiday cottages. Generally it works well apart from the occasional carpet stain, but that can be cleaned, though there was one less visible problem last month. We had a week's break in bookings at one place so I was doing some maintenance work.  The following morning at home I woke to find flea bites on my ankles. At first I thought it was our German Shepherd Dogs at home, but they didn't have fleas. I went back to the cottage with a protective coverall and soon had hungry fleas trying to take a bite. Fortunately we had time to fumigate the cottage before the next arrival.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

The thing I don't understand is when it states 'Bed and Breakfast', but then finding out the breakfast costs extra. Surely if you stay at a B&B then that's what you should be paying for.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Like fish and chips from a....... fish and chip shop you mean? Wink

But yes, it can be annoying. There is a chain of budget hotels in France called B&B where they charge extra but trust me, the breakfast is not worth having unless you like warm streaky 'bacon' and soggy scrambled eggs.

Like ETAP and those F1's over there, they really should stick to just coffee and baguettes!

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 415

I find airbnb’s are better value for money and you’d usually get the place for yourself. About a year ago I spent a weekend in a massive house, well mansion, with some friends near the Shropshire Hills for around £40 each.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

And people wonder why no one stays there? Many years ago (25 now) when I was a field engineer, my company would complain if the hotel bill was over £40/night. Last time I stayed in a hotel in London it was £140/night + £10-20 for breakfast a complete rip off if you ask me (luckily I wasn't paying as I was on a course).

For many years I have been a caravaner, and normally pay <£14/night for a pitch for 2 of us. If I was to pay B&B prices then our weeks holiday would be a single night!
davidj66
Rising Star

I presume that the OP is talking about "Four in a bed" on channel 4? Watched one episode the other week ,where the guy was trying to justify well over £200 per night WITHOUT an en suite! We stayed in a very smart B&B last Summer during the holiday season  in N.Devon - £75 per night inc breakfast-and because we stayed for 3 nights he gave us a 10% discount on top.