Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beauty and Loveliness: the same?

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Beauty and Loveliness: the same?

My wife admits she never was a looker, and I have been proud to be her partner for nearly fifty years. A freind called her lovely.

Do you think people often confuse the two? Why?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Beauty and Loveliness: the same?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... you obviously see more than the "external wrapping"....

Being "lovely" is not about how a person looks...it is more about a "feeling" that  the "observer" ( your friend) feels in her presence...

A lovely person, will do "nice" things for others without thinking, and consider it to be a "normal way to behave"...

A "nice" person can do things "just to be "nice" to another person, in the hope of some return "favour" at a later time......

So my conclusion is,... that... No.... I don`t confuse the two... I know the difference ! ! . ( and so have you for 50 years  ! ! )..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well they can be the same in the same person but I guess it's not that common.

Beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder but a person who is beautiful to most people will attract a lot of attention and it's how they deal with that attention will decide on the degree of Loveliness.

In using the word loveliness I am thinking about the level of genuine consideration that person has to other peoples feelings and is prepared in most cases to put the others persons needs as equal or greater than their own.

Other replies might not agree with those definitions.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I remember someone saying, what must be a well used aphorism, "beauty seldom extends below the integument".

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.