cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beards

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Beards

Why do "young" men, decide to grow a beard, or as we called in in the Navy... a set....  I can think ot a couple of reasons... the first is sheer laziness, on personal grooming... the second is to hide behind it, in the same way as a mask, so people cannot "read" your facial expressions.   A third reason has just come to mind... it can be used to filter out the peas and carrots in soup...  ( and usually does....  ! ) Cheesy

Whenever I see young men, 18 to 30 with a full set,... i think they look ridiculous, and cannot for the life of me understand how any woman can be attracted to being kissed by a coconut.....

so,... all you weirdy beardy`s... what is the reason... you don`t bother shaving... ?

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Beards

@shutter - You might find this article interesting.

Community Veteran

I think it is personal taste. I don't have a beard but wouldn't critisise anyone who does.
Steve
Pro

I've never grown a beard in my life, keep the face warm in winter though.

Edit have you seen the price of razor blades and razors?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Must admit i'm not a great one for shaving but I've only come close to a full wild beard a few times. I don't get on with the shaving process terribly well - leccy shavers seem to irritate my skin and wet shaving.. well I'm not overly keen on that either truth be told. I just drag the sideburn trimmer across my face instead and stick with the stubble lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well I have had a full beard, (up to, and down to 4mm stubble) for nearly 40 years now '-)

Reasons, many and varied. I hate dry shaving and leaving for work at 5:15 was a great reason for not shaving then. Now I am just so used to it, I couldn't go back.

I do trim it back, every now and then, and my beard is of the shaggy type not the long type, i.e. more like a bush than lawn ;-)
Community Veteran

It seems part of the standard ensemble of the young male exec.

BMW, beard, jacket, pencil trousers, and shiny black shoes.

I see so many around here there must be a production line somewhere churning them out.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Had a beard on and off literally for years - and more on than off these days with just the occasional trim around the edges and an all over hedgehog cut of 'chops and bonce' once a month - and why? Well it's so much easier not having to shave each morning!

There have been days especially on those hot n sticky one's where I'll say right, that's it, and shave the lot off but that's very rare of late besides, at this time of year the grandchildren just love having their very own Father Christmas lookalike!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

I did once grow a beard and moustache but it looked ridiculous so it went.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Had mine nearly 50 years, since I was a Uni student, mainly because my skin was cut to ribbons by ANY shaving method. Laziness helped.

There have been many decades when it was deeply unfashionable, but I persisted. Now as a grey non-haired (i.e. bald) oldie with fashionable stubble I seem strangely to fit in when I visit trendy Shoreditch where 2 of my kids (and my first grandchild) happen to live only a couple of hundred yards apart! Grin

Though the local (Shoreditch) trend for the massive "Fireguard" beard (Victorian style?) often ginger, I do find preposterous!

salmo
Rising Star

Like HPsauce I grew mine when at Uni in the early 70s and many male science students had long hair and a beard then. It's interesting to look at my old passports to see how it's changed from a dark colour to white. The reason I grew a beard was that when I was on a holiday in the 70s shaving facilities were primitive and so a beard appeared. When home I realised it meant that I could spend 10 minutes longer in bed in a morning.The excuse I use now is that my passport photo shows me with a beard.

Community Veteran

I've had this beard on and off (mostly on) for over 40 years. I first let my sideburns (this was the early '70s) meet under my chin when I was laid up with (proper!) flu for about 10 days, then decided that a full beard hides a multitude of chins, and have stuck with it ever since.

Fixes: 125

When I was in my late teens and early 20's I dreamed of being able to grow a beard. Now I just get patchy bits and it looks ridiculous. I also hate shaving with a passion (I started a long thread about it two years ago) and bought an electric shaver. I tend to use it once a week but have been known to leave it 3 weeks but then I think I look weird yet some people comment how manly and more attractive it makes meWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

Mav wrote:

some people comment how manly and more attractive it makes meWink

Can't understand why but I've had the same thing said to me by my daughter.

Maybe it's because her partner generally has what we used to call designer stubble (don't know if they still do) and if I skip shaving for 5 days that's what I end up with and it seems to be the fashion.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Strat wrote:

Maybe it's because her partner generally has what we used to call designer stubble

Funny how times have changed. Used to be just called scruffy and the only comments usually were along the lines of - haven't you been home yet - been sleeping rough - etc.