cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bean in an Accident!

Community Veteran

Bean in an Accident!

Rowan Atkinson, Mr Bean, has had an accident in 2011 in his £3m McLaran F1.  He has now got the biggest payout for repairs for any car accident of £910,000.  Quite some claim!! He now pays £60,000 per annum for insurance.
Accident
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Bean in an Accident!

I'll bet he was hoping they'd just replace the car. He must be a bit gutted they only repaired the existing one Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

He's insured with Aviva (according to the newspaper report this morning)  expect your premiums to go up to compensate them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

If the £60,000 is cover for all his cars it's a bargain.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
He's insured with Aviva (according to the newspaper report this morning)  expect your premiums to go up to compensate them.

I hope not because that's who I'm with Wink I couldn't see a reference to them being his insurer.  They did, however, pay out £300k for a claim to fix a Paganini Zonda test car. Another hefty sum Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ah! maybe I got that wrond, I read the Mail newspaper version this morning, I remember Aviva being mentioned and may have incorrectly put two and two together and made it five.
So relax, until confirmed.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Yes, that's what I was reading.  Five is not the answer Smiley
Fixes: 47

I wonder if he has a bolt and padlock on the car door Cheesy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Maybe his insurers will be putting one on his garage door Cool
David_W
Rising Star

He is rich enough to skip the insurance companies altogether.  Basically, if you have the money (which he does) you can insure yourself by giving a set amount of money to the government to hold (I think it's £500,000, not positive on that though).  You become insured (third party only) and if you're involved in an accident the money you have given the government to hold (as a form of guarantee I suppose) is used to pay an insurance claim.  At 60k/year he'll eventually save money, as long as he doesn't crash the car.
Community Veteran

@David W: I looked into this a few years back, it's £15k. Pocket change to the rich and enough to relieve them of another hassle but mega money to anyone else.
David_W
Rising Star

According to this posting it went up in 1992 from £15k to £500k, although if you were involved in a really bad accident which caused major damage to a third party, you would have to cover it all yourself, so if you hit a pedestrian and broke their neck leaving them a quadriplegic, you would be paying off the cost of their care for the rest of their lives (possibly millions of pounds), so I would suggest for Mr Bean to have £500k bonded insurance for damage to the car and 3rd party fire and theft for big claims, although just having the £500k bond wouldn't have paid for the repairs to the car, man, that's a difficult one, he really should have protected his no claims discount
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: David
he really should have protected his no claims discount

Or driven more safely
Community Veteran

There was a case only this week when a girl was awarded £5m for injuries she sustained whilst walking and being hit by a vehicle.  I think it shows the stupidity of not being insured.
The insurers are currently appealing the award:
Insurance claim
Community Veteran

Quote from: David
According to this posting it went up in 1992 from £15k to £500k, although if you were involved in a really bad accident which caused major damage to a third party, you would have to cover it all yourself, so if you hit a pedestrian and broke their neck leaving them a quadriplegic, you would be paying off the cost of their care for the rest of their lives (possibly millions of pounds), so I would suggest for Mr Bean to have £500k bonded insurance for damage to the car and 3rd party fire and theft for big claims, although just having the £500k bond wouldn't have paid for the repairs to the car, man, that's a difficult one, he really should have protected his no claims discount

That thread refers to the high court. The act I read a couple of years ago referred to something else but I can't remember now. It was only 3 years ago that I looked at it and was amazed that it could be done. It may have been an old act though, I was looking for something else at the time and just noticed it and remembered it saying £15k was the price.