cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BeThere / O2 sold to BSKYB

Community Veteran

BeThere / O2 sold to BSKYB

Just read this on the BE forums
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/03/uk-isp-o2-and-be-unlimited-sell-home-broadband-service-...
Thankfully I've bailed to Plusnet just at the right time. I'd have considered moving back to BE if they offered a FTTC product but with my hatred of Sky I doubt this will ever happen now.
11 REPLIES
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: BeThere / O2 sold to BSKYB

Ditto!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Glad to see I not alone in the hatred of bsb!
Community Veteran

Now would be the time for Plusnet to launch another 6 month half price offer on FTTC to cast their net and catch the BE/O2 customers who are now looking elsewhere. They are one of the few providers to offer FTTC with a static IP and a half reasonable forum / technically aware staff on it.
Coupled with the fact the price for unlimited isn't a million miles away from BEs current pricing .....
dannyobrian

Phew! I've literally just moved from BeThere to PlusNet 2 days ago, having got sick of waiting for Be to offer FTTC, just in time to miss the traffic shaping hell that is Sky "Unlimited".
Totally agree with picbits PN could clean up with an extension to the half price offer. There's going to be a lot of unhappy BeThere bunnies looking for what BeThere used to be: a truly unlimited ISP that delivers what it promises and  doesn't penalise you for wanting to actually use all those lovely megabits you're paying for.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

They are all free to come here and escape the Murdocks Wink
(I'm realistic though, we really need to fix this performance issue....)
Community Veteran

The lack of multiple static IP offering from Plusnet seems to be the sticking point - I'm still on the Be forums and reading through one of the biggest threads I've seen this year with members threatening to leave left right and center !
I truly hope this doesn't mean the end of BeThere but if Plusnet play their cards right they could end up with a lot more business from it.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Kelly

Indeed you do.  Cool
People like me are now waiting and watching......... Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: picbits
The lack of multiple static IP offering from Plusnet seems to be the sticking poin

Stupid question..
Can you use more than one IP over one physical connection to your home then? - I thought you'd need as many routers / connections for the number of IPs you have?
As for BSB... woohoo another money sucking giant getting bigger and greedier  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The simplest way would be to have the router in bridge mode then assign each device connected to it a static IP address.
You could have say two servers on their own IP address then a seperate router on its own IP address providing NAT for an internal network.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Great - no prizes for guessing who my ISP is Sad
Read that Sky don't offer static IP's. Also read you have to use their router (in their T&C's).
(Means you shouldn't of course. Ask the admin guy at work and you can work round it, but it is a pain).
Still, my fibre date has slipped (yet again) to June 2013. Not bad considering the original date was June 2012.
PlusNet, I could be opening my second account with you Smiley
Razer
Grafter

When I was with BE I was disappointed when they were bought by O2, but this is even worse. Makes me glad I'm no longer a customer. I wonder how many other customers they'll lose with this move.  One thought, though;
Wasn't there news or discussion recently that sky had admitted to over-subscribing and thus clogging their network? Or have I imagined that, or confused them with another ISP?
Now would be the time for Plusnet to launch another 6 month half price offer on FTTC to cast their net and catch the BE/O2 customers who are now looking elsewhere.

Yeah, catch them all and further degrade our service. I remember this being a fear when I was with BE and there was some large migration, though I can't now remember where the migration was from.
They are one of the few providers to offer FTTC with a static IP and a half reasonable forum / technically aware staff on it.

This is the first thing I loved about joining PN, because from the start the whole setup just reminded me of being with BE.
Quote from: dannyobrian
There's going to be a lot of unhappy BeThere bunnies looking for what BeThere used to be: a truly unlimited ISP that delivers what it promises and  doesn't penalise you for wanting to actually use all those lovely megabits you're paying for.

I LOVED being with BE for this reason and the fact that I just basically found the staff great and the forum great. It is also the only ISP I've ever had where I got full on 24,000 sync every, single day and little to no problems. If I did have a problem it was sorted super quick. Best ISP I've ever been with.
Quote from: Kelly
They are all free to come here and escape the Murdocks Wink

I feel the same concern now as I did when with BE and there was a mass migration from another ISP; degradation of our service because of over-subscription. I can't argue with turning one's back on the Murdock's, however!