cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be careful at road junctions..........

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Be careful at road junctions..........

Many people will be aware of this, but I thought it might be timely to remind us all, of how careful we need to be, when pulling out of road junctions...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23717575
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Be careful at road junctions..........

Flashing of headlights and sounding of horns are there ONLY for letting other drivers know of your presence, they should not be taken for "You can pull out in-front of me/cross in-front of me"
I have seen drivers being flashed at a junction and NOT checking the oncoming traffic on the OTHER side, nearly causing an accident. I've been on both sides, a car crossing front of me because it was "flashed by car facing it" and behind a car doing the same and almost running into a lorry coming down the other lane.
Fixes: 124

Never heard of this particular scam before, thanks for the heads-up.
Some of the worst culprits for flashing their lights to let you out/through are the police!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just to point out that the linked story is from August 2013...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: shutter
Many people will be aware of this, but I thought it might be timely to remind us all, of how careful we need to be, when pulling out of road junctions...

I suspect shutter knows this hence his comments.
Community Veteran

Yup !  ! !     Wink
@pwatson.... so.. ?  I`m sure that the scam is still being used.... and therefore my "timely reminder" .....  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I don't drive but youtube is full of it, seems best investment now is a car cam recording every journey.  Seeing as its been going on for years would have thought insurance firms would have done a deal with the car cam makers, sign with us and use this camera for lower insurance
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

problem with that is you would, ideally, need to have 4 cameras in each vehicle...... all recording at the same time, ... front, back and each side view, so that side on collisions, ( as explained in the bbc report ), could be proved that the "offending" flasher  (? ) could be identified as such...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Despite being a 3-year old story, it's a good case for buying a dashcam, too many idiots and scum on the roads these days to not have a dashcam...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I wonder if one way would be when flashed move forward one foot as if you are going to go and stop again. Presumably the fraudster would start to move when he saw you start and give the game away.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Hmm.... that `could` work..... so long as the guy behind you can stop in time  !  Cheesy