cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Flyover S.E. England TODAY

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Flyover S.E. England TODAY

I have just seen a report on the news, this morning , that the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight is going to "do the rounds" over South East UK today....
They put up a map with a rough "flight plan" starting in Kent, then heading towards London, before heading North (ish) across London, and then turning west and back across west London, before heading down the A3 (!) to Lee-on-Solent, along the south coast towards Brighton and back to base....
I have done a "google" to see if I can find approx times at "waypoints" but cannot find anything..... ( the BBMF Homepage gives only "BOB/RAD flyover" as todays schedule and a display at Bournemouth Air Festival at 1500...)
Anybody help Please..... Would love to find the time for Portsmouth/Lee-on-the-Solent flyover.....
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Flyover S.E. England TODAY

UPDATE...... By putting "battle of britain flight" into google search, and ignoring google "suggestions"  I found the time (approx)  for Lee-on-the-solent flypast.....
If you want to find your local time you may want to follow links on the fourth entry below the main search entry entitled  "News for battle of britain flight".
Thanks for all your help..... Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

strange, the Kent article says the route, but it all implies that it wont happen, it uses the word was and were, and not is or should
Community Veteran

Details here as a PDF: http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/rafcms/mediafiles/84AE84B8_5056_A318_A83F2C67BE961698.pdf
Coming our way just after 4pm and possibly again just after 5, depending how they approach Northolt to land at 5:20pm.
Community Veteran

Yes, Pierre, I noticed that.... all in the "past tense"....  but it was definite on the news report this morning... and the time for Lee-on-the-solent is 4.37.
You may be able to work out some local times from the distances.
EDIT < better off looking at the map provided by HPsauce`s linky >
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Battle-of-Britain-flypast-at.6483035.jp
http://www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/news/Battle-of-Britain-Spitfires-and.6484824.jp
Here is todays schedule for the Bournemouth Air Festival, (which also, it seems, has a flypast by the BBMF  - 3pm to 4pm)
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/8339282.Bournemouth_Air_Festival_schedule__day_two___Friday__A...
Community Veteran

@ HP sauce..... Excellent.... thanks for that one... Wink
Community Veteran

You're welcome, Shutter.
My missus should get an excellent view if she's at her desk at 4pm -  window seat near the top of a tower by St James Park looking straight over the corner of the park at the Cabinet War Rooms etc. She has a splendid panoramic view from Westminster Abbey and Parliament right round East and North to Buck House.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Shame, I live near Andrews field which was Group HQ, but post BB, Used to live near Hornchurch, now a lot of houses,  Had a V2 land nearby, saw several doodle bugs
the flight is to far to the West and South for me
Community Veteran

Never mind, Pierre,  have just heard them go over our house.... on their way to Lee-on-the-Solent.... about 10 mins late....  couldn`t see them because of very low cloud.... and some rain in the air too....
nadger
Rising Star

Can't be precise as to date but I once sat in the cockpit of an ME109 - it was during WW2 and was being taken on a tour round Britain.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

If you want to read a bit about the Battle of Britain this blog has a very good section http://thedaysofglory.blogspot.com/2010/08/day-41-battle-of-britain.html
Community Veteran

Some interesting shots of Spitfires and Hurricanes at North Weald last week waiting to take part on the Battle of Britain Flypast.  One of the Spitfires is the oldest airworthy one existing.
Hurricanes and Spitfires
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We were lucky, were parked up at Bournemouth airport (Hurn) Wednesday of last week -one of the very few airports around that actually caters for enthusiasts with a dedicated area to easily view the activities alongside the runway...costs £4 to park but stay all day if you wish- But I digress. Since it was the first day of the Bournemouth Air Festival the following day, it was a reasonable guess that a number of the aircraft would be "parking-up" there. We weren't disappointed; The Lancaster and one Spitfire of the Memorial Flight did several circuits of the airfield before landing. Later in the day, The Euro-fighter (Typhoon) and the Red Arrows returned there after a display earlier at Weymouth.
As an aside though, the regular scheduled traffic (Ryan Air and Thompson) was held up while this was going on, One of the Ryan Air flight had an unruly passenger whilst waiting (I'm an avid airband listener) and the Thompson required the services of the airport fire tender due to an emergency on its stand.
An eventful day...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Opened up the pics in my earlier link.  All taken at North Weald as part of the battle of Britain Flypast 20th August 2010