cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery or not?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Battery or not?

I overheard two students talking today about laptops. One said that too preserve the life of his battery, he removed it when he was using the charger.
I've never heard this before, and would have thought it risky as the battery would act as a buffer-absorbing any excess power (hence charging and using at the same time).
Anyone else heard this? I had a quick Google, but got too much gibberish to wade through. Shocked
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Battery or not?

Been using an old laptop with just the charger for more than two years ever since the battery bust. No adverse affects so far.
Community Veteran

Yes I've heard this and know of a couple of folk who nearly 'always' have their laptop connected to the mains, so they've removed the battery, I too questioned the logic, but couldn't present a good argument as to why they shouldn't do it.
Community Veteran

Sounds a bit iffy to me!
I seem to remember that some lappys need the battery mounted as the charger control circuit is in the battery pack, not on the lappy!
But then, I'm old and forgetful!  Roll eyes
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I can think of only one reason - and my memory may be faulty
Batteries used to have better long term life and ability to hold the maximum charge if the operating sequence was to let it run down to empty then recharge it.
Trickle charge or charging from part full used to cause the battery to lose charge capacity
However with modern batteries I don't believe that is the case
TORPC
Grafter

Good old gibberish EH!!!!
Keep you going for a while that will Tongue
To answer your question
No I have not heard of it either
That said it could come in handy as a temporary measure if you battery is in a *U.S* state
Sounds a bit daft to preserve the battery life though  Undecided
@Ned
If one is using a laptop as  PC & will be constantly on the mains, then there should be no issue in removing the battery to prevent the battery from being fried
Community Veteran

I would imagine that if the charging circuit is on the battery pack, then the lappy will not power up without it!
Yes, I do use mine as a PC these days, but the battery was almost shot when I got it. I have it plugged into the mains when it's in use with the battery in situ.
Geoff,
York.
TORPC
Grafter

Most laptops from approx start of vista days, will power up without the battery with the supplied charger / power pack
For example for prolonged use with my Fujitsu LI2727, I always remove the battery
The same with an Esystems laptop
Also it helps as a troubleshooter if the battery is *U.S*
Community Veteran

Batteries and Laptop charging these days are rather more intelligent than the older stuff.
The charger will only charge the battery when it is less than 100% and then will cut off the charge. You can also on some laptops specify not to recharge the battery until it has discharged to at least 80% (or a predetermined number).
Lithium Ion cells are strange little creatures but a lot more advanced than the old NiMh and NiCd
itsme
Grafter

Anyone got an old Panasonic laptop manual? The advice given was to remove the battery if used for long periods of time on mains supply.
Community Veteran

Now talking to you without the battery!
And, it was stone cold & fully charged when I pulled it. Mind you, I only used to get about 30 mins use the next morning before it died!  Embarrassed
Geoff,
York.
TORPC
Grafter

How old & Which model is the Panasonic Laptop ?Huh
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

I have an old Dell Inspiron I use as an media server on occasion. I found removing the battery a benefit in terms of heat.
It used to get very hot with the battery in place at times, with it removed it rarely gets warm  enough to cause the fan to spin up.
Community Veteran

I thought it was common knowledge that if you run your laptop on mains most of the time that removing the battery was recomended.  I have certainly seen it mentioned in documentation supplied with various laptops.  IIRC it mentioned that the constant fully charged state and heat would shorted the battery life.
Fixes: 47

I have an old HP that if it's in use off the mains and the battery drops below about 20% it won't charge if plugged into the mains.
It has to be shut down and then charged.
If I plug it in above about 20% it starts to charge.
I think the battery is on it's last legs.
This laptop also has been used for long periods without it's battery in place.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation