cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battersea Dogs Home

Community Veteran

Battersea Dogs Home

Some news on BBC TV yesterday about Battersea Dogs Home.  Last year they took in around 9000 dogs and 2815 had to be put to sleep. of these 1931 were healthy dogs but judged to be aggressive dogs.  Sad news.
Battersea Dogs Home
Panorama also featured this story.
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Battersea Dogs Home

And they say we are a nation of pet lovers Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
thisoldman
Grafter

I fully agree with your sentiments artmo.    But I must raise the q  how did the dog become dangerous?
Now whilst behavioural modification works very well with all animals, it is expensive and time consumming.
If a dog poses a serious threat  to humans, is there any viable alternative to what battersea do?
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Last year they took in around 9000 dogs and 2815 had to be put to sleep. of these 1931 were healthy dogs but judged to be aggressive dogs. 

The expression put to sleep is not being used by the RSPCA. Currently they are using the expression KILLING dogs. They believe the time for euphemisms is over
Community Veteran

Quote from: thisoldman
I fully agree with your sentiments artmo.     But I must raise the q   how did the dog become dangerous?
If a dog poses a serious threat  to humans, is there any viable alternative to what battersea do?

It would appear the dogs were trained to be aggressive and then later abandoned. IMO I don't see that Battersea has any other solution than the one they presently use. It would be nice to think the owners could be prosecuted but finding them is impossible I would think.
N/A

That expression is spot on. On the whole, dogs are not  born dangerous but are made so by careless and inept owners.
I cannot understand why people get dogs and don't give them time and training. After all, they do not need to have a dog - it is entirely voluntary.
It is sad if a dog is euthanased because of aggression but the number of people who are experienced enough, and willing, to retrain such a dog is very tiny indeed.
Just recently on my own forum we were told of a rescued Cairn, quite young, who had to take that final journey to the vet's because she was very damaged by her life experiences and would have needed a very special home without other animals. We were all very sad as the trustee that was caring for her is very experienced in training and obedience so we were all hoping for the best. Sadly, it was not to be.  Cry
In our area there is a terrible problem with Staffordshire Bull Terriers. So many being bred and ending up in rescue kennels.  Angry
Don't know what the answer is.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

One of the people interviewed gave the history of Staffies
They used to be a friendly gentle family dog, the the Hoodies Et al, thought that they (The Staffies) looked tough so they treated them rough and the dogs responded, these are the ones that are unfortunately ending up in Battersea
One of my distant relatives (and the further the better) got himself a staffie just before he got locked up again, he acquired it as a pup from an unnamed source on a campsite in the Thurrock area.  His dad, a completely different type of person is now looking after the dog in the correct method, it is so soft and handerable its unbelievable, you can take its food away without complaint, it loves his granddaughter
So its not the dog its the owner
Had a lad round the corner, who I used to know as a Cub Scout, he has a learning difficulty, came past my house this week trailing two Staffies, one in what I thought was a harness, as it got along side me, it started the Hoody Staffie acts and pulled out of its harness and challenged me, luckily I got in first with a strangle hold on its collar, He has no right to have one let alone two dogs out on the street
Community Veteran

Childhood friend had a staffie. Sweet little thing but you could hear it coming a mile off: terrible breathing difficulties, endemic in the breed iirc.
Gabe
nadger
Rising Star

Neighbour has a rescue Staffy and it's as daft as a brush  Smiley
Community Veteran

Battersea Dogs Home is run mainly from voluntary contributions so I suppose they have to be a bit harsh when deciding the fate of some dogs in their care.  Here's their site:

http://www.battersea.org.uk/
I was unaware until visiting the site that they have three locations, Battersea, Windsor and Brands Hatch.

nadger
Rising Star

Brands Hatch is where they keep the greyhounds and whippets  Wink
King Charles Cavalier Spaniels naturally go to Windsor  Cool
Steve
Pro

Saw this last night, Its really humane the way that injection worked, Very effective, Very fast and Very sad, Its the owners that needing putting down!!!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Steve
Its the owners that needing putting down!!!
Agreed. I hereby volunteer to join the firing squads
Steve
Pro

Credit to the men and women that rescue, save, rehome, etc dogs etc, When I was a child I wanted to own my own zoo, Now Im grown up I couldnt work for battersea, I love animals to to much and my blood would be boiling all the time and I reckon Id lose my job pretty sharpish, So credit to them.