Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bastille Day Attack in Nice, France

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Bastille Day Attack in Nice, France

At least 70 feared dead after lorry crashes into crowds in suspected terror attack in France

http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/14/several-feared-dead-after-lorry-ploughs-into-crowds-in-suspected-terro...

Some horrific Video, covered Internationally by News Organisations

CNN

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/14/europe/nice-truck-attack-live-blog/index.html

16 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Bastille Day Attack in Nice, France

Unfotunately France allowed IS into the country as refuges Sad   open borders dont work ......

Sad  Day for the innocent Cry

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Very sad indeed...

A timely reminder as to why we're leaving the EU, to close our borders to such people, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I'm sorry @twocvbloke but do you really believe that? With and more to the point when the borders are tightened (as they'll never be closed) that action may reduce the number of individuals coming into the country but it won't, can't and never will stop any determined individual on carrying out any acts of violence.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

You have to remember that we let people in because we're in the EU, we're not allowed to deny them access, so the flow of immigrants, some genuine, some not, is not controlled, with our own borders being able to say "Nope, go home" after kicking out the EU will mean we can stem the flow of unwanted nutjobs entering the country...

Community Veteran

In that simplistic scenario I agree with you that's the way it should be, but without wanting to seem to be a doom monger would the same approach apply to someone trying to bypass permanent immigration control using a holiday as an opportunity to gain, albeit temporary, access. The individual(s) in question need not reside here they simply need temporary access.

A sympathetic cell member resident in the UK could easily help an 'outsider' carry out their dastardly deed and may never appear on the Security Services' Radar.

But what I do know is that what has happened is horrible, but I don't think for one minute that simply leaving the EU will make us safer, but nor do I think it will make us any more vulnerable, but here's hoping your vision is the right one, time will tell.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

it would appear that the terrorist was home grown as he was a French Tunisian and a petty criminal as well

I suspect this is a carry over from the Algerian problem and so closing the borders would be a classic case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted

nadger
Rising Star

Watching France24 the lorry, caught on cctv before attack, looks like a 16 tonner - as reporter said it was probably a hire truck.

Driver was petty criminal with no known terrorist connections.

Tragic end to a day that is always a celebration.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thoughts to the injured and the families of everyone involved. A terrible attack and devastating for so many.

The problem is that if the man was not part of a terrorist group, there will always be others who decide to follow suit - like the american school shootings.

People who carry out these attacks are clearly at their wits end for whatever reason and need to be found and stopped via whatever means necessary - help, locking up, whatever it takes.

The problem is though that this will only add support for things like the snoopers charter - something our new PM desperately wants.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Ah! There's the rub, most of these psychos are loners and keep themselves to themselves and as a consequence no one knows what they are thinking or planning, and those that do know are usually in on the plot.

Regrettably what you suggest is a lot easier said than done. 

Community Veteran

Mook wrote:

Regrettably what you suggest is a lot easier said than done. 

Really? The UK has a history of being smarter than the enemy and has found some very clever ways of solving problems in the past.

Google operation mincemeat and you'll see just one very clever example.

You forget.. they have hundreds / thousands of the smartest people in the country working in their intelligence services and other departments. One brain might not have a clue how to solve this problem but multiple brains will come up with something.

Community Veteran

Yes, really. If it was as easy as you seem to think we would never need to wash blood off our streets.

Community Veteran

Random attacks are unpredictable.. but eventually they'll figure out a way to reduce them whether it be throwing money at certain groups that are thought to be high risk or reaching out to certain religions etc.. somehow they'll slow it down eventually.

Of course france isn't britain... so maybe they'll continue to suffer their attacks. Who knows.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

France has a major problem with Algerians and others in ghettos - Banlieues - where they have almost no chance of getting out and they suffer almost constant discrimination and the state has made no real attempt to help them

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Terrorism today is like the plague, it is spreading rapidly. The only way to stop it is to control the minds of those who are ill.