cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basmati Rice

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Basmati Rice

I have always bought Tilda Basmati rice in big bags but as there were only small bags in Sainsbury at exorbitant cost I bought a small bag of their own brand Basmati Rice which will be started in the next couple of days
Will there be much difference in texture/taste or are Tilda relying on their brand name
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Basmati Rice

Big bags as in 10-20kg?
Tilda is the name you're buying - a lot of good restaurants use this http://www.sbhf.co.uk/ethnic/peacock/
Community Veteran

I buy many brands of Basmati rice (whatever is on offer) and they are all very similar.
I just bung a handful of rice per person in a large pan of boiling salted water and boil for 11-12 minutes - no washing or messing about with it.
Community Veteran

I always wash my rice before cooking it unless it's been parboiled.
A trip to India was a bit of an eye opener.
Fixes: 47

My late wife who was something of a rice expert always put her rice into a special 3 sided tray I made for her in order for her to remove anything that shouldn't be in there Sad
She always bought Basmati rice by the sack from her brother's shop and no particular makers name.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Having previously used a Rice Cooker, we now just use a microwave to cook Basmati & Long Grain Rice
Half a mug of rice per person, half to one mug of water per portion, depending on (dryness) taste, high for 4 minutes, low for 12 minutes...
Never sticks, may need to be rested for a couple of minutes before serving.
The HK friends always use Rice Cookers, but even theirs sticks sometimes.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

are you talking about the boil in the bag variety of rice or the 500gram bags of loose ? rice will likely be more expensive for the next few years though due to poor crop yields depleting the stores of available product ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Loose Rice, decanted from a larger bag.
TORPC
Grafter

The best thing about rice, is it lasts for an age & does not seem to go off Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So why do Ambrosia put 'best before' dates on the tins then?  Lips are sealed

Once cooked I'd not want to keep rice too long.
Rice and pasta stored in dry conditions do seem to keep 'for ever'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
TORPC
Grafter

Perhaps in heinzsight I should of mentioned in it's dry state prior to being cooked
& before the spelling / correcting police arrive, I deliberately mis-spelt heinzsight, in the context of food Tongue
myredhotcar
Grafter

All basmati rice should be washed to remove starch and debris
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I use 'boil in the bag' Basmati, I hope they've washed it for me.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
myredhotcar
Grafter

I'd guess so, otherwise it would come out in one sticky lump
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

some of the more expensive bags are "pre washed" which is apparently why you pay more for those 500g packets ....... I'd rather spend the same as 2 packs of 500g "ready to cook" on the 5 kilo bag though and wash it myself, although the kids don't like it so were suffering American rice most of the time  Sad
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you