cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bargain hunting - help required

N/A

Bargain hunting - help required

My friend is looking for a laptop up to £350. It is just for basic stuff and the only requirement is that it should have a webcam (W7 of course).
Am therefore asking if anyone has the time to do a bit of googling and bargain-spotting for me please?
Hope that Pierre is online 'cos he's always the one to find a good buy.
Am going to have a look myself but I get a bit mixed up as to what is the best processor and other technical details.
Anyone?
Huh
29 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Bargain hunting - help required

I recently bought 17" Toshiba for £300 from Argos Clearance Bargains on eBay. Two friends have recently bought base units, at £200 each, from same source.
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/argos-clearancebargains/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I was in Staples yesterday on a different mission, they certainly had an Emachines laptop for sub £350. Wasn't actually taking a lot of interest so can't tell you the exact price or spec, but was definitely under £350.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

I was lucky to have got slightly better spec than this machine for my £300 + Toshiba Win7 upgrade for £27.90 ( possibly still available when buying Toshiba)
When they say refurbished it's more than likely that machine has never had OS installed - mine hadn't.
Community Veteran

I agree with Petlew about Staples, well worth a look.  Dell have an outlet section on their site which offers some good prices and it may also be worth looking on ebay.
N/A

Yes, there are a few under the mark so will check out. Trouble is,  I never know what is a good make and also the merits of this processor v that one.
Anyway, don't suppose it's that important for basic computer use.
Looked at Argos and there are a few there.
Thanks for suggestions
nadger
Rising Star

It's quite surprising how many computers clearance bargains shift when there's an Argos line change - with mine it was over 260 machines.
As I said I was lucky and got a higher spec Toshiba  than I actually ordered.
I was able to get a 2.18 dual core Pentium with 3Gb ram and 320Gb drive and 17" screen.
The upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 was well worthwhile for under £28
Community Veteran

Both my laptop and desktop are HP machines.  I have been very pleased with them both and HP is an excellent company for service.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you hurry you might get this special offer from Amazon and save a whole £0.03  that brings it just under £350 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-15-6-inch-Notebook-Celeron-Windows/dp/B002WE0EE4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&...
Samsung R519 15.6-inch Notebook (Celeron Dual Core T3100 1.9 GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium, Black)
Technical Details
Range: R519
Model Name: R519 (Black/Silver)
Part Number: NP-R519-JA08UK
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor: Intel Celeron Dual Core Processor T3100 (1.9 GHz) 800 MHz FSB with 1MB Cache
Main Chipset: Intel GL40 + ICH9M
Memory: 2 Gb DDR2 800 MHz
Memory Slot: 2 x Slot SODIMM
Display: LCD 15.6 in. 1366 x 768 WXGA SuperBright Gloss LCD TFT
Graphics: Intel GMA X4500M
Sound: HD (High Definition) Audio
Sound Feature: SRS 3D Sound Effect
Speakers: 4 Watts Stereo Speakers (2 W x 2)
Integrated Camera: Digital Motion Camera (0.3 Mega Pixel)
Hard Drive: 250 Gb SATA 5400 rpm
Optical: DVD Super Multi Dual Layer - 5x DVD-RAM, 8x DVD±R 2.4x DVD+R DL, 4x DVD±RW, 24x CD-R, 16x CD-RW, 8x DVD, 24x CD
Modem (RJ11): ---
Wired LAN (RJ45): 10/100
Wireless LAN: Wifi 802.11b.g
WWAN: ---
Bluetooth: ---
I/O Port: VGA, Headphone-out, Mic-in, Internal Mic, 3 x USB 2.0, 3 in 1 Card Reader (SD, SDHC, MMC), DC-in
Keyboard: 87 keys
Touch Pad/Screen: Touch Pad (Scroll Scope, Flat Type)
TPM: ---
IAMT: ---
Fingerprint Reader: ---
Recovery: Samsung Recovery Solution 4
Virus: McAfee Virus Scan (Trial Version)
Security: BIOS Boot Up Password, HDD Password
Lock: Kensington Lock Port
Power: AC Adapter 60 Watt
Battery: 6 Cell Lithium ion 4000 mAh
Dimensions (WxDxH): 376.0 x 255.5 x 30.4-38.1 mm
Weight: 2.56 Kg
Warranty: 1 Year FastGuard Warranty (Collect & Return)
Installed Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader, Easy Battery Manager, Easy Display Manager, Easy Network Manager, Easy SpeedUp Manager, Microsoft Office Professional 2007 (free 60-day trial), Samsung Magic Doctor, Samsung Update Plus
Community Veteran

Amazon have laptops for £249.99. They're Vista but you can upgrade to W7 and still be around the £300 mark.
Laptop
nadger
Rising Star

Unfortunately they're all small screens.
Always worth a look to see what Ebuyer.com have on offer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think the OP wanted an integral web cam, as part of the spec, which, I suspect will "up the anti" on any "basic" spec...... and bring the price to over £300, for something with a decent sized HDD, reasonable processor, and a goodly amount of RAM.  Undecided
N/A

Yes, she did want a webcam. The problem is that there are so many makes and you keep asking yourself which is a good one.
Have been in a computer shop this morning and the chap said that Sony are best, otherwise Toshiba or Acer.
Have asked him about getting a Sony and trading in her current one because she hadn't taken into account the value of her own
laptop. This way she will get a better machine so will see what happens.
Thanks for all suggestions - there is too much choice really and I find it a bit mind-boggling (which is why I asked for help).  Shocked
Addnan
Grafter

My sister got this laptop and I quite like it. http://www.johnlewis.com/230696905/Product.aspx
Does everything she needs it to do. 
Community Veteran

John Lewis are very good on after sales service and they offer some of the cheapest extended warranties in the market.