cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bargain Hunt

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Bargain Hunt

Occasionally, I have some spare time, when I am not posting on the forum, to watch a bit of television, and Bargain Hunt seems to be quite interesting. where two teams are given £300 and told to go and spend it at some antique fair/car boot and then sell the items at auction, hoping to make a profit..
Been thinking about the economics of this prog  for a long time....
The first thing that comes to mind is that it is shown on BBC...
therefore they have paid a camera crew, and the presenter, and the two "experts" for their input.  the BBC has also paid for the accommodation for same personnel....
AND ... given £600 to four people....

Where does the money come fromHuh?

MY licence fee.  Shocked 
Oh and to cap it all... IF they make a profit, they get to keep it.... BUT.. if they make a loss, they don`t have to shell out for it...  Cry
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Bargain Hunt

Well firstly its not produced by the BBC but by a commercial company (can't remember its name but will come up in the credits) the BBC is not the only channel to show it quite a number of commercial channels show it, with advertising breaks which is no doubt where the covering of costs comes from. Presumably the BBC buy it in, my guess its pretty cheap to make.
Some of the other channels show different parts of the production or with different amounts of cash. Some don't show Tim Wonnacolts survey of a country house. Like a number of programmes shown on BBC the programme logo pop's up, these are usually where the ads breaks will be shown on commercial channels.
Like you we see Bargain Hunt on BBC from time to time, I'm just "amused" how so wildly wrong so-called experts can be in their estimate of an objects worth, especially as some are auctioneers in their own right.
If you're interested and want to Google Bargain Hunt, its not without controversy and accusations of fixing. With a certain amount of "whistle-blowing" by former contestants.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 125

I should imagine most programs are 'fixed' in some way to make them watchable. They'd probably be boring otherwise...
One I like is Come Dine With Me, But I bet they fix a lot of that as well.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

One of the accusations about Bargain Hunt is that articles are not chosen by the contestants, but they told what to choose.
It is also said that some articles have been seen several times with different contestants.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Petlew

One of the accusations about Bargain Hunt is that articles are not chosen by the contestants, but they told what to choose.

Yes, I have seen some "blatant examples" of those choices too.... If you really concentrate on the "production side" of the programme, and think about camera angles/camera positions it becomes very obvious

(I did think that the BBC bought in the prog.... but it seemed like a good way to get a debate going ! ! >>>> !! )
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It is also said that some articles have been seen several times with different contestants.

If you watch it regularly, you will see the same 'experts' at the same sale, and auction, with different contestants.  We assume, to make it easier and cheaper, they film several episodes on the same day.
Also noted that an expert will 'push' an item, but if it is rejected by one set of contestants, then it is often 'pushed' to a different set of contestants in 'another program'.
As for fixing it, I'm sure some of those buyers must be planted. Wink
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Presumably the BBC buy it in, my guess its pretty cheap to make.

The BBC publish the tariffs, and they pay peanuts for daytime 'Entertainment' programming like BH.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/tv/how-we-work/business-requirements/tariff-ranges.shtml
Community Veteran

Bargain Hunt and other programmes like it of which there are a number may well be cheap to make, but are probably quite profitable for the production company. Bargain Hunt is apparently popular in the Canada, USA and Australia to name three countries where its shown. In fact "special" editions have been made in those countries.

Community Veteran

Not only do the artefacts, auctioneers, experts and contestants have a familiar ring to them in Bargain Hunt, but some of the audience bidders seem to be somewhat regular as well, especially one shall we politely say stout middle aged gent who often seems to start a bid going but never actually buys anything, so I guess he's a "plant" to get things going. Some of these bidders are on first name terms with auctioneers. And I speak as someone who in spite of appearances is not a daily regular watcher of Bargain Hunt, but often enough to notice a certain "recycling" of people and items "for sale" for most of the latter I suppose money never actually changes hands.
One thing that does irritate me about this genre of show (although in fairness Bargain Hunt doesn't usually do it) where "contestants" win amounts of money be it auction or game shows being asked what they are going to do with the winnings, as if its any of our business!! The best response to this I can remember was in Pointless when a contestant said he was going to buy a cabinet to put his Pointless trophy in. Whether this was scripted or off the cuff it seemed to get a genuine response from show hosts.

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

I think it's 3 teams they film per day at the antiques fairs and similarly at the auctions, so you will see the same audience. A lot of auction goers are regulars so it's not surprising the auctioneer gets to know the buyers. There are strict laws for auction houses. The other thing is, as a regular watcher, because antiques is one of my hobbys, is that there are many repeats of the programmes, so you don't particularly remember the contestants but you are more likely to remember the items that come up for sale.
nadger
Rising Star

As a regular BH watcher I agree 100%.
Lots of repeats and one often spots same people at the auction.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Same people at the same auction house or different auction houses? You'd expect to see a number of the same people each time they visit an auction house as many will be dealers who will attend general auctions hoping for bargains.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nanotm
Pro

indeed the dealer I used to trade with would often travel to 30 different auction houses for their monthly auctions, according to him the interesting stuff was always kept back for the monthly auctions whilst the so-so gear was always put into the weekly ones, and also another thing you will notice with various antique type shows is that no matter where in the country there recording you will see the same auctioneers, something that was explained in one of the BH shows as being a licenced auctioneer they would often move from venue to venue from a central office to conduct the sale then the following day be at a different venue, in some of the older series they would use the same auctioneer for multiple venues and half the bidders would be the same people despite the locations being used.
another thing worth noting is that in the early series the show would pop to any local sale room to flog there wares without taking into account if it was a local sale or monthly sale date, this often caused problems for the "experts" as returns available from one market sector can be wildly different than those expected from another.......
for what its worth the show is a good pointer at showing how fallible the idea of flipping products is, there's no such things a sure bet so only play with what you can afford to loose, a lesson a lot of people could do with learning Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Whether 'plants' 'fixed' or genuine,if you like antiques and light entertainment,this ticks all the boxes.
My best bargain was about fourteen years ago, in a general sale, where the slate bed snooker table I was after was at the end amongst the gardening and miscellania section.
A last minute lot popped up, not in the catalogue, described as two China jars with lids. They held one up and I thought "blue and white, the wife will like them" so I bid - and won for £20. I also won my snooker table,complete,for £5 ( then had to pay a man with a van £25 to get it home).
I checked the markings on base of jars, crossed swords, and couldn't believe my luck. A pair of Miessen ginger jars.
I took them to an antique dealer in Cambridge who offered me £350 on the spot. I didn't sell.
So antiques can be exciting, not just on tv.  Cheesy