cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Card Anti-Fraud

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Barclay Card Anti-Fraud

Trying to buy my iMac sent alarms bells off at BC HQ, and quite rightly so, but this was yesterday and it's still not resolved and I've not had my call back yet as promised.
Quite  Cry as I want my new toys!
21 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Barclay Card Anti-Fraud

strange, when I had Barclays I would ring the number on the back of the card and choose the security option then get mine back up and running within a few minutes or have it cancelled and a new card ordered (which happened on two occasions both when my card had been cloned and fraudulently used )
never bothered to wait for them to ring back /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Well I guess I may be partly to blame. I got an email from Apple saying the card needed authorising, so I called in and when I got through was asked various security question one was digits from my mobile no (one that I no longer use) so I asked my son what the last 3 digits were and was told that they (BC) weren't allowed to accept prompted answers. Two seconds later he says they'd call back and hung up. Later I decided to login to online banking only to find I'd been locked out of that!
I just hope they sort it soon.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Call them up, complain that the lackey hung up on you, and demand they restore your account immediately or you're moving to another card provider... Smiley
Community Veteran

Funny I was thinking that but I don't want to wind them up!
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Mook
..., so I called in and when I got through was asked various security question one was digits from my mobile no (one that I no longer use) so I asked my son what the last 3 digits were and was told that they (BC) weren't allowed to accept prompted answers. Two seconds later he says they'd call back and hung up. ...

He probably called you back on the number you no longer use!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mook
but I don't want to wind them up!

Just remember they've been caught and fined for fiddling the markets, so, you can wind them up as much as you like:
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-3077082/Barclays-braced-2bn-fine-rigging-foreign-...
Personally I wouldn't give them a penny of my money, but that's just me... Grin
Community Veteran

Well I've called them and it's all sorted I can even log in to online banking.  Grin Just waiting on Apple now.
Fixes: 123

Glad you got it sorted.
I find that Barclaycard's and Barclays' anti-fraud measures can be a little aggressive at times but I'd rather that than the alternative.
When I have had a problem I've usably dialled direct to their fraud team and got things sorted within minutes.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I had trouble with Barclaycard security when I travelled to Nigeria  Smiley
They wouldn't believe it was me trying to use my card in Lagos. Fair call  Roll eyes
I was locked out for two days, luckily the hotel let me run up a bill because they knew me.  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nanotm
Pro

years ago when they first introduced the anti fraud system it would trigger on my bank card every payday when I tried to go shopping, apparently getting your groceries in bulk once a month was unusual spending patterns despite me doing it every month for 4 years ..... after 6 months I moved bank and never looked back  and that was back in the early 00's, each to their own though and Barclaycard was a fantastic bit of plastic when traveling much more flexible than some of the other cards I've used over the years since/
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I find that Barclaycard's and Barclays' anti-fraud measures can be a little aggressive at times but I'd rather that than the alternative.

Well I thought it was for Barclay Card.
Quote from: Mav
When I have had a problem I've usably dialled direct to their fraud team and got things sorted within minutes.

Well I got a direct dial number for the Fraud Dept from them today, and they said the same thing, call and we will sort it.
Having said that I knew how much the stuff from Apple was, but I don't know if there is a way of calling the provider as a preemptive strike and saying I'm going to spend X with Joe Blogs Inc. Just thought I'd let you know. But knowing my luck they'd think it was odd behaviour and block my card!

I have found the benefit of ringing the Fraud Dept direct is you get a UK call handler who immediately understands the issues whereas I have found the overseas ones tend to 'look into it' and come back with little or no further help and then, eventually, transfer you to the Fraud Dept.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

If I know I'm going to buy an expensive item, or several less expensive similar ones, I ring my Bank before I do so, and they put a mark on my account.
Also my dates for being out of the Country, and which Countries with dates I expect to be visiting.
So far, so good...

Barclaycard states that there is no need to contact them when going abroad.
With Barclays you used to have to inform them but they stopped that requirement a couple of years ago.