Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barbers

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Barbers

Number of Mens hairdressers are increasing at a considerable rate in this area....

There used to be just one about a mile from us.....now there are 6. !

In the local town yesterday I noticed at least 12 plus a couple of Turkish mens barbers.....perhaps that's the in thing now.

Perhaps the increase had escaped my notice as the Mrs cuts my hair with a pair of clippers so no need of these places.

Is it just around here or barbers shops increasing in your area as well....?

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Barbers

A few "traditional Turkish barbers" have popped up around here. Maybe there's some sort of franchise.

Looking at their arrangement, a row of three or four chairs and a similar number of male barbers, it's like going back in a time warp to how barbers used to be here,

But without the grey overall / coat they used to wear.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Traditional Turkish Barbers...... aka.... Traditional carpark car wash operative ! ! ! ...

Maybe it is a seasonal thing..... now that the wet weather is here..... they are looking for "Indoor" work ! ! !..

Look out for Traditional Turkish Coffee houses sprouting up  ! ! ..

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

There is a "franchise" type operation around where I live.... the Barbers shop is called Gino`s.... but the people who work in there move around from shop to shop.... Usually Lady Barbers....  I use three different shops, depending on where I am when I need my hair cut... shop 1 ..used to be a "traditional" one man owner operated... he was of the "old school" and was a flight mechanic/engineer on the ground working on Spitfires.... unfortunately for him... and his customers... he went to the tip one day a few years ago, and died there....

his shop was bought and refurbed into a Gino`s.... and two lady barbers .... one very  good, the other mediocre. ( at hairdressing ! ! )..

shop 2... the mediocre one appeared there one day when I went in.... she remembered me, and my style... took about 10 mins to complete !

shop 3.. a new one for me... male barber guy about 25... and a female barber.... I got the short straw... and the male barber, he spent about 35 mins pratting about, tryiing to impress me how good he was.... but doing little in the way of hair dressing... I actually told him to "get a move on...I can`t be sitting here all day going to sleep".... he finished off, and I paid up ,... with the parting shot to the female barber.... "not impressed".. ( that was about 2 months ago )

Same shop this week.... lady barber only... took about 15 mins to do the job.... very very impressed... very professional in her work... Excellent...

I seem to remember that Barbers "used to"    "Rent" the chair,.... not sure if that scheme still operates... and maybe Gino gets a cut ( no pun in tended) of the barbers takings, on top of the rent to cover the overheads of the shop...

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@shutter wrote:

Same shop this week.... lady barber only... took about 15 mins to do the job.... very very impressed... very professional in her work... Excellent...

I think the last time I went to a traditional  'barber' was when I was about 15, but I bet there's one thing she forgot which seemed to be customary ...

... "Anything for the weekend sir?"   Grin

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

If these are real 'Turkish Barbers', or you have one where you live take the opportunity to get the full works the next time you're in. When you've been shaved by a real Turkish Barber you'll never want to do it again yourself. They even remove the pineapple tufts and hair from around the ears along with the nasal hairs using a lit taper.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

"Yes, a steak and chips, if you can manage that. Anything other is out for me".Funny

A couple pf new barbers have opened but no Turks, and they're damned expensive. I'm content with the little salon with one barber chair, and the other for a ladies hairdresser. My cut costs £7.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

We've a relatively new Turkish Barber just along the road from us. I've been once, but not subsequently. I gained the impression they'd received their training in the Turkish Army, and when they reused a cut-throat razor for trimming without cleaning it between customers, I decided they were not for me.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Not for me, been cutting my own hair which I keep nice and short using a (now battery) beard trimmer for years which works a treat and has saved me literally hundreds of pounds and hours of waiting time.

Trimmer also great for nose, ears... and unruly eyebrows a la Denis Healey. 

Last time in a barber shop? At least forty years ago and yes, I still have all if not most of my hair!

Highlighted
Pro

@Minivanman  Same here, although I've got a Wahl cordless to supplement the old beard trimmer.

(I put a new battery in the beard trimmer last year, which would sort of tie in with the "Right to Repair" thread.)

I give myself a number 3 cut, and the Mrs trims the edges. Job done. I look like a hairy cue ball! Cheesy

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

So no one fancies one of those,' Peaky Blinders' hair cuts ?..

Number 1 cut straight up the sides and leave the rest on top to grow long....not forgetting the hair gel for that shiny look.

Wink

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

The old short back and sides eh.

My old Dad used to tell me that in his army days they would be told "what's under the beret is yours, what's outside is mine.... so get it cut!" Later years and with my own then long hair he would ask if my hair was hurting me and when I asked why he'd say "because I'm standing on it".

Smiley

Highlighted
All Star

@gleneagles In the period that the programs set would not be hair gel or brilcream....probably chip oil ? Funny

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

Brummie beef dripping surely? Tongue

Highlighted
All Star

@Minivanman In Yorkshur we use chip oil Thumbs_Up