Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banter

2u2me
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Banter

One thing I miss about work is the "bit of banter" you had with your workmates, It sometimes helped you get through a challenging day, do any of you`s fortunate or unfortunate to be retired, miss it 

13 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Banter

I occasionally have need to pop into the company from which I retired and the banter from all ex-colleagues is still there and enjoyable.

What isn't enjoyable is the missing banter and conversation as a result of a colleague who retired last year and died within months.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
2u2me
Aspiring Pro

Condolences,  My own  experience in working life, found that by working as a  team you could overcome most problems and the skills gleaned from this could be pass on to hopefully help others, and not confuse them, I tried to put this practice onto the forum, but the winking and clever comments confused me, (winking farewell)   

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Likely to be the odd one out on this topic but I couldn't wait to get out of the work place, there was an opportunity to meet with people who were in the same line of work when retired but that's the last thing I would want to do.

Sure I kept in touch with several individuals after I retired but the talk was mostly about, ' remember this, or remember that etc.

Well remembering the past is ok but I would rather concentrate on today not the past, equally a lot of stuff such as football or indeed any sports holds no interest for me, I am happier when I am actually doing something I want to do rather than engage in useless chatter.

Sure these forums are a form of banter but it can be controlled, spending as little or more time as you wish along with a time of your choosing.

Minivanman
Hero

I was never one for banter at work, but perhaps or probably because I have always been hard of hearing which made it difficult to engage with any light hearted conversation. I have no problems with forums such as these though.

As for retirement it was the best thing that ever happened. I was able to hang up my clogs in exchange for slippers at the age of 60 with no regrets. Ten years down the line now so every year is a bonus unlike work, where every year was a weight and worry on my shoulders, and an obligation to be fulfilled.  

Glad and grateful to be out of it - and that's the truth.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Yes, I miss the work related banter, although a group of us meet socially about once a month.

There's no shortage, though, as I play bowls three times a week, and bowlers are great 'banterers'.

Not young enough to know everything

When I started work at my final employer before retiring it was as the company welder so I got to know everyone on the shop floor very well.

After a few years I was given an office and an IT budget (long story) so I got to know all the office staff very well.

Office banter and shop floor banter turned out to be very similar consisting mostly of personal insults and doubts cast about my abilities to do my job tempered with complaints about the management/shop floor as appropriate.

All of which would be returned in equal measure.

Minivanman
Hero

"Office banter and shop floor banter turned out to be very similar.....

"Apart from the language you mean? 

Not wanting to sound prudish but I always found shop floor banter far worse..... but also more honest and less spiteful in a sort of calling a spade a spade sort of way.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

calling a spade a spade sort of way.

Correction

calling a spade a bloody shovel

Minivanman
Hero

"Correction

calling a spade a bloody shovel"

How so?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

A spade digs holes, a shovel moves loose stuff like sand, gravel and coal... Tongue

Fixes: 125

Had some great banter during my earlier years at the GLC. But that is as far as it went. I was of the opinion that work and home life should be rarely mixed.

I did keep in touch with a few old colleagues from the early to mid 80's for Xmas and birthday cards but 30 years on and not so many received or sent nowSad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav wrote:

I was of the opinion that work and home life should be rarely mixed.

The company had a firm's dinner and dance every year around Christmas time.

I never attended.

When I worked on the shop floor Christmas cards were never exchanged.

When I moved into an office on staff, exchanging Christmas cards was expected.

I also had to buy buns for everyone in the office on my birthday Roll eyes

I never got away with it as there was always someone who had a reminder set in the Outlook Calendar Sad

Fixes: 125

When at the GLC we used to swap birthday/Xmas cards as well as go to the Xmas dos. Yep, used to buy cakes and stuff for birthdays (often bringing in a few bottles of wine to share). Occasionally a few of us would pop to the pub for a few hours after work but that was it. There was no further cross-over with home life.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still