cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banned words

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Banned words

Interesting that a number of words that appear in the oxford dictionary are banned on the forum.

I am quite happy with the present setup but suspect others may not hold that view.

22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Banned words

Given the words which are now in the Oxford Dictionary I wouldn't use that as a reference

Referring back to my post in the original thread I don't think that this forum's swear filter is much different to the old one

Fixes: 47

I suspect all the words in the 'banned words' list appear in a different dictionary (discretion advised when following links)

However it wouldn't be a family friendly forum if we didn't impose some control albeit light.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

Not sure why a word appearing in the Oxford Dictionary should mean it can't be banned.

If there are specific words you feel should or should not be on the banned list then feel free to use the Report to Moderator option and we will look into it.

Please remember that young people as well as adults may read these forums so we like to keep is as family friendly as possible.

Edit: Strat beat me to it

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Have you checked whether the report to moderator action is also subject to the swear filter

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Years ago I was told of a filter that banned the word "sex". Trouble was it included all compounds. Out were Essex, Sussex, Wessex and Middlesex. I think it was the old forum had a problem with a well known hymn tune Cwm Rhondda.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If a word appears in a children's TV show, then it's perfectly okay to use, such as bumhole, otherwise it's just Mary Whitehouseism...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

if a word appears on daytime TV or radio then it's acceptable (doesn't have to be a children TV show).
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Easy to circumnavigate if it bothers us that much. My favorite is derrière. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

One of the bedtime stories Mrs Minivanman reads to our grandchildren when they stop over is called 'The Great Dog Bottom Swap' by Peter Bently and Mei Matsuoka. They love it!   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

Minivanman wrote:

Easy to circumnavigate if it bothers us that much. My favorite is derrière. 

That could fall foul of this forum rule Wink

Forum Language

• The official language to be used with all postings on these forums is English.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

In which case, living in Wales (which I am) those same rules could fall foul of the Welsh Language Act. I wonder how many plusnet customers are Welsh speaking?

Just saying, or not. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

rather ironic when plusnet went out their way to have a polish dept, didn't they?
Minivanman
Hero

Polish, not polish. 

Let's be careful out there, don't want to fall fowl of the rules! Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So, there's not a section dedicated to cleaning shiny furniture? Shocked