Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banks

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Banks

First the tax payer had to bail the banks out to stop them going bust, not sure if we ever got all the money back, next was the PPI scandal and now......

There is a big investigation taking place regarding the banks forging customers signatures with some customers facing repossession of their house.

I thought it was a crime to forge someone’s signature, be interesting to see if anyone goes to jail, odd how these big organisations seem to get away with crimes in terms of no one doing jail time but if we as a individual did anything like this it would be a few years in jail.

38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Banks

Direct line were caught doing this years ago - forging signatures. Again no serious repercussions seemed to happen as it's big business and "just one of those things".
If you or I do it we go to jail.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Banks can be a law unto to themselves.

I had money from a house sale paid into an account by my solicitor and the bank without a 'by your leave' then used some of that same money to pay off an agreed overdraft I had on another account I had with them. "We were just acting on your behalf" they say "as that's what we thought you would want us to do".

Well yes, but that was my decision to make not theirs. It was never resolved despite complaining to an ombudsman neither did I get an apology. 

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 42

@Minivanman That happened to me with HALIFAX a few years ago.... I was "not amused"... managed to get an appointment with the manager... voice my opinions to him (I was standing, he was sitting at his desk all meek and mild).. then I told him I wanted to close my accounts, and withdraw all my money...( not that there was a great amount..... ! .. but it was the principle of the thing....)  and have never entered a HALIFAX branch nor would I recommend them to anyone, if they asked me...

The bank I changed to, sends me a text message, if I am close to broke, and a big payment is due... to remind me that it would get paid, but would incur the 40% overdraft interest rate...  A subtle hint, to transfer some money across from another account... but much more "consumer friendly" ! ! ! ..

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yep @gleneagles IANAL and all that, but pretty certain it is illegal as is it a false misrepresentation of someone else.

When you have to give evidence in court (I have done Jury Service too). You have to be present and give them:

1. Your full name.
  2. Your address.
  3. Do you recognise this document?
  4. Can you confirm this is your statement to the court?
  5. Is that your signature?

Some links on Google seem to agree with with me.

Not plesant in court, about as plesant as watching Ant and Dec.

My friend last night decided to watch something with them in, my brain can't cope with them for more than a yoctosecond, so I moved to my bedroom back onto the internet.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Alex 

False misrepresentation?

Even if it is false representation I'm pretty sure it's only 'illegal' if the intent is either fraud or deception for gain - although now it's probably been extended to saying something about somebody that offends.... anybody. 

Boo to a goose? That'll be a £50 fine please for upsetting the goose. 😂

Highlighted
Community Veteran

That's what some of the links told me.

However, I would say someone signing documents, forging your signature is.

The only argument is "Did they have your consent to do so?". If not, then I would consider that fraud. The defence would try and argue that they had, and you have to tell them they didn't.

Worst one I've ever done is use my sisters and parents bankcards. Though I know their PINS, and I had their consent to do so. Done that when my mum couldn't get around as easily and when my niece was born, so my sister had to stay at home.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Alex 

It might be fraud, but is fraud with no gain illegal?

Not so sure it is to be honest Alex.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Could be right @Minivanman 

I've no idea either, I assume it would be a lot harder to prove it was a crime if the fraudster wasn't using it for goods or money.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Alex 

Probably why I never got anywhere with my complaint against the bank as they did not do anything illegal, although it was certainly sneaky.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Interesting to see UK banks will be closing EU expats accounts at the end of the year. 
Should Rishi declare the payments of EU expats state pension unnecessary ?

Anticipating the usual “We‘ve paid into it all our working life” Just a reminder - you haven’t....

Highlighted
Community Veteran

And now HSBC and several other large banks are in the news for allowing money that was known to be obtained through criminal activity but was still processed by these banks...

I doubt the average person has much in the bank these days but is it wise to allow these crooks to have your money....?

Is there anything to stop a bank going bust ?

Sure the government say savings are protected up to a certain figure....but who can trust any government....

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Saw what on the news today @gleneagles 

Oooh dear, I think their share price will go down. 🙄

I can't see anyone as big as them will go under. Especially as they have a presence internationally and Hong Kong, which is what their name stands for (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Banking, Corporation).

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

Is there anything to stop a bank going bust ?

Once upon a time we had David and George but these days Boris and Rishi would probably let a bank turn to dust. Boris doesn't do reality and Rishi is now skint!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

For a few months now National Savings have been offering the currently very good interest rate of 1.15% so eventually in mid-July I opened an account.  Since I didn't have a savings account with them already, they required me to complete a form which (because of COVID-19 of course) took about six weeks to process.  With my building society and bank only allowing small amounts to be transferred electronically, and cheque deposits not being accepted (because of COVID-19 again) I've had to transfer a little bit every few days.  Lo and behold when I looked on line today, my building society are now offering an account paying slightly more than National Savings, and the worst thing is that National Savings are reducing their interest rate to 0.01% in late November.