cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banks - and others - Terms & Conditions changes.... "one sided" ? or what ? ? ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Banks - and others - Terms & Conditions changes.... "one sided" ? or what ? ? ?

Whenever you open an "account"  with banks or shops/ trading places.... there are always "Terms & Conditions" applied to it...

Just had an email from Nationwide... about "changes to Terms & Conditions...  which , is ( I suppose ) fair enough...  at least they have notified me of them... due to start in November..

Only, (to me) minor changes, that don`t really affect me,... but it struck me as rather "bullying" in their attitude about these changes when I read the following

_______________________________________________________________________________________

If you're happy with these changes, you don't need to do anything. However, if you don't accept any of the changes you have the right to close your account without charge before the date these changes come into effect, 31 October 2016.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The second sentence is "politely" saying... If you don`t accept these changes,... then close the account, and get stuffed. 

So it is an "or else" statement of intent.... accept these changes    "Or else,......" ( we shall close your account anyway, whether you want to or not )... But.... they don`t "actually say that"... do they...?

.  sneaky or what  ?

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Banks - and others - Terms & Conditions changes.... "one sided" ? or what ? ? ?

Paypal have just updated their terms.

They say exactly the same in their emails.

--------------------------------------------------

I never liked Nationwide's terms if they get bought out. In that any share windfall gets donated to charity and by continuing to bank here you agree with these terms.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Banks - and others - Terms & Conditions changes.... "one sided" ? or what ? ? ?

"It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business".Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

The lawyers who do these one sided contracts should be "sleeping with the fishes".

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

You will be assimilated, resistance is futile...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

shutter wrote:

If you're happy with these changes, you don't need to do anything. However, if you don't accept any of the changes you have the right to close your account without charge before the date these changes come into effect, 31 October 2016.

Without charge? - What are they referring to there then? What charges are they planning in bringing your way?

I got an email from my bank this morning too who said they were reducing interest rates and all that jazz. There's barely been any interest for years so i'm not overly concerned but as they were in the press for another negative issue just recently I'm mulling over going to another bank.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah.... so, presumably, if you close your account AFTER the due date.... because of the "changes" then they will charge you for closing it...  ? ? ?