cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banking - Don't you love the changes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Banking - Don't you love the changes

Well I had an interesting one yesterday.

I've had a couple of credit cards cancelled because I don't use them, Nationwide being one.

Then had a Barclaycard where they split the Mastercard into two cards. Being a Visa and and AMEX (I'm sure that's right). Then they cancelled the Amex.

Also I have a separate Amex card which I hadn't used for ages, which for some reason I assumed had been cancelled. Then it was only I got a letter essentially saying "Changes to the T&C's for the Blue Card" I thought it cannot really be cancelled, why are they writing to me then?

It is a blue card, expiry 04/20. Tried to log in on-line but my account was locked.

Better ring CS I thought and just ask whether the account was still active. I got through to someone in about two minutes. Two minutes?? Talk about unprecedented, I think myself and most people here can count on one hand how many times that has happened to them? Nice :cheesy:

Woman on the other end was really nice and helpful. Account unlocked and walked me through the process of logging in on-line. Which was done.

2 minute customer service, really helpful person on the end. Account still active, £5200 credit limit - this card is a keeper.

No contactless on the card. Mate said "Why don't you set it up on your iPhone". Did that and it worked. Don't really need it on the card if I can use my phone. I can wait for the card to be renewed next year.

So quite happy and used it yesterday - no problem.

They're hardly going to cancel my card now I've used it and owe them £30 now. That amount I can live with. Got to keep it under control now as contactless is dangerous in itself, even worse when I can just use my phone :tongue:

wotsup
Champion

I see that many places where it says all cards except AMEX accepted - and it has always been like that.. I used to have AMEX card for businesses and after being told by a restaurant try did not accept AMEX I asked why.. I was told ' because they don't pay their bills, you have to wait for ever for your money'   - can't really argue with that.

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I always thought it was the charge Amex made to the retailer, someone has to pay for my annual cash back...

DaveyH
All Star
Fixes: 11

@wotsup wrote:

I remember standing behind a man trying to pay with his phone via apple pay I assume,  took him a while to get the transaction done and i could see assistant getting a bit peeed off.  When I got to till I waved a £20 note over the terminal and remarked ' maybe your terminal is faulty - it doesn't seem to like notes either'. 

Funny coz I use Google Pay almost exclusively these days and it literally takes seconds.

Quicker than people farting about with their wallets and purses and waiting for change. 

Don't get me started on those that wait till they get to the till before deciding to route through their pockets or purses for change....

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

@DaveyH root not route. Smiley

Mark you me, anyone going through my pockets may think they're on a mystery tour route.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

Well all I can say is I will start using it again.

Don’t know if it still applies, though I will do some research but I used to get 1% cashback.
Hmm, £1500 for an annual season ticket?

I’ll pay on my Amex then government. £1500 is bad enough but slightly better when I get a £15 kickback on it.
Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

My season ticket was £8k which raised the % cashback to the next level. add a couple of holidays plus any large purchases resulted in a nice annual bonus....

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Nice!
When I first got my Amex (card I have now) I battered it in Florida. Learned that everywhere accepts it there, as some places in the UK it can be difficult. Seems to have changed now.
Well you can’t grumble at £130 can you? 😃
idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Alex wrote:They're hardly going to cancel my card now I've used it and owe them £30 now. That amount I can live with. Got to keep it under control now as contactless is dangerous in itself, even worse when I can just use my phone :tongue:

I've got one card that get used just once a month, £25 maybe. Just to keep it active.

Can only agree regarding contactless, like leaving money hanging around. Too easy to use - even if it isn't yours! One thing that isn't said enough is that people can ask for a normal card (without the contactless bit). Problem being the banks don't actually shout it from the roof tops.

Phones are fine until they die, then you're stuffed!

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Local Asda supermarket only takes cards at the fuel pumps, there is no option to  make cash payments, always use it, very rarely any queues, compared to Morrisons which is a nightmare with people who pay cash/card and then decide to buy a few things in the small shop where payment is made, no thought to those waiting in the queue for ages.

Community Veteran

Yeah sometimes I use my sisters card.
With her consent I might add :police:

Did that the other day, so I've got her contactless, but I know her PIN anyway.