Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Bank cards bought stuff ALL BY THEMSELVES, say shoppers

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="The Register"]
Marks & Sparks accused of silently bonking punters over the tills
Bank cards bought stuff ALL BY THEMSELVES, say shoppers

High-street socks'n'frocks chain Marks and Spencer is accused of quietly taking money from shoppers' contactless bank cards at the tills.
The accusations come from Radio 4's Money Box listeners, who called in to report that M&S had billed cards in purses and handbags over the air, unbeknownst to customers who had intended to pay for stuff another way.
It seems the money was unexpectedly taken from bank cards that can do pay-by-wave with compatible tills using Near Field Communications (NFC). One simply has to wave the card near the machine - within a few centimetres - for the transaction to take place over the air by radio wave.
But customers complained this was happening over a much greater distance with the tills that M&S recently installed in its UK stores.
Read More Here

Am I shocked no way am I
100 REPLIES
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Bank cards bought stuff ALL BY THEMSELVES, say shoppers

I read that a lady was charged twice because she had two of these cards in her bag.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It was only a matter of time before someone got caught doing this (intentionally or not). They told us chip n pin would be safe but look how many times we hear of cards being cloned, keypads being hacked etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shalom2010
I read that a lady was charged twice because she had two of these cards in her bag.

If it's the case that I heard about it was not the till taking payment from two cards for the same transaction from cards in her bag. The contactless card was in a purse about a foot to one side of the reader. She inserted a non-contactless card in the reader. The reader took money from the contactless card, printed a receipt. Then, not realising what had happened, the customer and staff member repeated the transaction using the intended card.
The previous week's Money Box programme carried the story about Transport For  London buses taking funds from contactless cards when people intended to present their Oyster cards or Freedom Passes.
Some problems seem to be:
Some people do not even realise that they have a contactless card.
The range of some machines seems to extend further &/or in other directions to that in which it is supposed to.
The machines are supposed to refuse to carry out a transaction if more than one contactless card is within range. On some occasions this seems not to be happening.
Wireless is supposed to be deactivated when a card is inserted into the slot of the reader. Money Box had a report of this not happening the card in the reader being ignored and payment being taken from a different card..
The people wrapping their contactless cards in tinfoil may have had the right idea after all!
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Wife: It wasn't me that bought these £1000 shoes.
Husband: Then who was it, your lover?!
Wife: It was the contactless card!
Cheesy  Grin
Fixes: 47

Having paid for them it felt only right that I should bring them home. Smiley
I must say this type of contactless payment does worry me a little.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I use contactless cards a lot and not had any problem.  My cards have to be within about 2cm of the reader to register.
The details I heard seemed to point to the M&S readers being the problem.
I use an aluminium wallet to keep all my cards in and this prevents this problem and also prevents anyone with a scanner from illegally reading my card. They only cost a few pounds on ebay. Don't mention wrapping cards in tinfoil I bet someone on here does it Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Wouldn't you think that if a transaction is offered more than one payment method, the till would ask which one it was to use?
Sounds like there is more to this than meets the eye! Wink
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Here's an example of the wallet I mentioned earlier:
Protective Wallet
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Contactless payments have a limit of £20. So while its undesirable you're not going to lose £££. The banks have refunded the errors I believe.
My local Tesco Express has had contactless on the manned tills for some time. Recently a contactless option has appeared on their self-serve screens (that I use all the time) but its currently greyed out, I guess its only a matter of time before its an option.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not sure if it works but I think someone was selling pocket size metal cases to keep cards in so no one could access the data.
You would of course have to remove the single card you were using before getting near the till
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Makes me glad I don't use a contactless card!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 124

Quote from: Petlew
Contactless payments have a limit of £20. So while its undesirable you're not going to lose £££. The banks have refunded the errors I believe.

£20 is still a lot of money to many and how long before the banks twist things so that the responsibility for preventing these transactions falls on the customer?
I'm with Sprite on this and don't have any wish to use contactless cards.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Not sure if it works but I think someone was selling pocket size metal cases to keep cards in so no one could access the data.

@gleneagles yes you can get a wallet, see my reply #8 in this thread.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
£20 is still a lot of money to many and how long before the banks twist things so that the responsibility for preventing these transactions falls on the customer?
I'm with Sprite on this and don't have any wish to use contactless cards.

It's worth checking if your cards have this facility already. I think all banks are now issuing replacement cards that have it already built in. There are 30 million cards with this built-in in the UK.