cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Aid

geewizz
Grafter

Bank Aid

Calling all popstars. Get yourselves into the studio to record a charity single in aid of your flagging careers and help out the beleaguered bankers who are struggling to cope with the poverty of not getting a bonus this month.
Few of us can imagine what it must be like for the executives of banks who are suffering the hardship of not knowing where their next sports car will come from. We can all do our bit by sending in some money to Bank Aid and by buying the single. Phone now and pledge whatever you can. [irishaccent]Give us your bloody money ... NOW![/irishaccent]
28 REPLIES
Moggy
Grafter

Re: Bank Aid

Already Have Given care of UK Gov..... Cry
techguy
Grafter

Yes must be terrible swapping the caviar for a nice prime quality fillet steak.
While ordinary people are worried about their spiralling gas electricity and food bills, porky and friends cry into their Bugatti brochures over the picture of that Veyron they were going to buy from the bonus they thought they'd earn from that dodgy dealing and oh dear the bank has collapsed/been bailed out with the money robbed off normal people, if I were Prime Minister I'd be suing them for every penny, greedy scum brought on this mess and their ill gotten gains should be used to help put it right.
As Chancellor, Gordon Brown smoozed with big biz and encouraged this kind of stuff so he should be removed from office and a General Election should be called NOW!
There are some things money can't buy, for everything else there's the taxpayer.

I also now know never to work for a US company as the sickest thing I heard was that when the directors of  a now infamous certain investment bank knew it was going down the tubes they drew off money to pay bonuses and US salaries, stuff their loyal British employees.
So that's every US telecoms company off my application list when I get my certification as when the chips are down, its only those in the USA that matter, irrespective of how overseas employees may have toiled.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: geewizz
Calling all popstars. Get yourselves into the studio to record a charity single in aid of your flagging careers and help out the beleaguered bankers who are struggling to cope with the poverty of not getting a bonus this month.
Few of us can imagine what it must be like for the executives of banks who are suffering the hardship of not knowing where their next sports car will come from. We can all do our bit by sending in some money to Bank Aid and by buying the single. Phone now and pledge whatever you can. [irishaccent]Give us your bloody money ... NOW![/irishaccent]

LOL
Quote from: techguy
There are some things money can't buy, for everything else there's the taxpayer.

Lol x2.
The sad thing is though its all true. This government don't give a rats about us. They spend £100bn per year on the NHS which is almost breaking at the seams under the strain. Banks dig themselves into a nice big comfy hole due to their greed and the government throws £500bn at them. Money really is more important than people or their health as far as this government cares.  It is SICK.
Affordable housing the government keeps on about. Hang on, affordable for who? Certainly not us little poor folk so that must surely mean only the rich?
Now there is a threat of house prices collapsing everyone is panicking about their money invested. Before that everyone was panicking that the prices were too high. Now come on, which is it? We want cheap housing but we want it to be expensive? We need to start looking at houses as homes again not as investments.
The government need to learn that banks are just like us and any other business. If they dig themselves a hole, in go the bailiffs. We get treated like that, whats with the banks escaping it? They're supposed to be paying a big tax bill. Not being funded by it. If you or I don't pay our tax we become guests of her majesty. If the banks can't pay it, fine give them as much cash as they need instead. After all, we can't have our rich banker friend sitting in jail can we?
I think I'm going to write to Gordon Brown and ask also for a government bail out. You see my partner and I are in a hole due to my employer defaulting on sick pay. Therefore to stop the neighbours loosing interest in us and stop them trading neighbourlyness with us we need to keep up neighbourly confidence before we're devalued. I'm sure the government won't mind.
Why does the government think that banks lending credit is such a good thing anyway? Isn't easy credit which people couldn't afford to repay whats got us into this [Censored] mess?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Quote from: techguy

Now that one I do like Grin Grin
'aint it the truth....'aint it the truth Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
techguy
Grafter

At least these poor banks can exercise a right to decline a loan or credit card application, you can't decline to givre the government your money as its extracted at source and if you are self employed and refuse to pay they can sling you in jail.
I only do OT at work now if its double time as otherwise there's little benefit.
This PAYE rip off for ordinary working folk has to stop, yes stuff has to be paid for but charge the mjority a fixed amount a year and tax the rich on a PAYE basis or perhaps in some cases that should be PAYL (Pay As You Loaf), thinking particularly about these 'socialites' living it up courtesy of  Mummy's or Daddy's trust fund.
I used to think that people that tried to avoid tax were the scum of the earth, I can now understand a little of why they do it.

The economy is in bad shape so lets start sorting things by axing the majority of  those blood sucking MPs.

Community Veteran

How about AIG in the US. The government bailed them out to the tune of $85 billion and they then spent $440.000 on a juncket for their senior executives. Guess they got their priorities right Wink
N/A

And if the banks aren't rescued, and your savings disappear into thin air?
Then what?
Savers already pay tax on the interest from their savings, and for what benefit? If the government can't offer a reasonable level of protection for savers, then whats the point in saving? Spend Spend Spend hasn't got people too far has it?
Why should those who work hard to provide a financially stable future for themselves and their familes lose out because others were reckless in spending more than they could afford?
geewizz
Grafter

I feel the rumblings of a revolution. Does anyone know where I can download some knitting patterns?
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: James_G

what are savings?
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: jmdlp
what are savings?
Things that we oldies use to stuff our mattresses  Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

I wondered where my bad back came from Smiley
Nobody told me not to put it in a biscuit tin Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

Savings are the things you have to keep moving around when banks merge, anything less than that counts as pocket money. Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Then what?

Hang on I can't even save money. This government have got me taxed so hard and forced my cost of living up so high that I don't have any money left over to save. Generally the last 3 days before payday I'm lucky to have 50p left.
Why should I through my tax, be forced to ensure those that the government favours get their money back? I'm not allowed to save my own money because they've stitched up the energy and housing markets to extract more cash from the poor. Why should I then pay for the richer amongst us to get their money back? Surely if they're so good with money they would of made other plans for this sort of crisis? - Multiple bank accounts, foreign accounts, cash under the bed etc.
This problem is one for the savers I'm afraid. They trusted greedy banks to play with their money and were in my opinion in bed with the bankers (who are in bed with the government) in screwing the poor out of every penny possible.
Savers already pay tax on the interest from their savings, and for what benefit? If the government can't offer a reasonable level of protection for savers, then whats the point in saving?

Hang on, those who are rich enough to have savings shouldn't be contributing to society - Is that what you are saying? While people like me who are in the working class SHOULD?
Let me put another POV on this. I work hard, very hard. So hard in fact I've caused permanent damage to my knees and have been off work for 3 months which has been a very hard struggle financially. Despite this I'm still expected to pay tax. For what benefit? What am I going to see for the fruits of my labour? SSP (£75 per week) and the possibility of loosing my job? Is the government going to guarantee my income? No. All this because I work hard for my slice of bread. If the government can't guarantee my income then whats the point of me working and paying tax? - Go on, tell me.
James I'm sorry but I thought you were at least a fair bloke but apparently you beleive the poor should foot the bill for everything while the rich get an easy time of it. Before you defend yourself, re-read your post and see what it says from my POV.
Why should those who work hard to provide a financially stable future for themselves and their familes lose out because others were reckless in spending more than they could afford?

So you're saying that even though I work hard and DON'T provide a stable future for myself because I'm poor, that this is all MY fault? My partner and I struggle to live within our means but we do it. Don't put the blame on us. If you've lost money then thats your problem for trusting the banks who gamble your money on a daily basis. IT IS NOT OUR FAULT. People who trust gamblers need to take more responsibility. Would you invest your money into a horse racing gambler? No. So why trust a bank? They just do the same thing. There is not an unlimited amount of money in the economy for them to take in as profit every year. Eventually people and the economy run out of money and when that happens the banks can not make profit. Lets not forget it isn't just the borrowers who were reckless with your money - The banks were the ones irresponsibly lending it in the first place.
You know, you guys who play with money and savings need to take more responsibility for your actions when it goes wrong. You know what the risks are but you still do it for an easy ride and some interest on your savings. If your savings meant that much why didn't you keep them under the bed eh? Because you wanted free money on top from the banks? plus insurance in case your house burnt down or you were robbed. That money still has to come from somewhere. When the money well dries up and things crumble you can't start blaming everyone else but yourself when you knew what the risks were. It's like playing a card game and then complaining that the game wasn't fair when you just lost your house to another player. You knew the risks but still decided to chance it.
The fact that us poor people don't loose anything (which seems to be the issue winding up the rich here) is only down to the fact that we have little or nothing to loose in the first place.
CREDIT is the root of this problem. CREDIT is what has got this country into a mess. CREDIT comes from the banks who lend YOUR money. With this £500billion bail out, what do you think the banks are going to start lending again? With the government now effectively saying they'll fix the banks when they're in a mess ... What do you think will happen again?
Now with my tax, the government is bailing out the banks (and thus the rich) with £500billion. So, let me get this straight. I see nothing for this money but I now have a huge debt to pay off to society over my lifetime for £16k. It isn't even a loan I can go and spend. It's just a £16k debt imposed on me to keep the banks, the rich and the savers afloat. I'd be more than happy to lend this to the government if I was going to get it back with interest. Sadly I won't because the savers, rich and banks are stamping their feet. Instead it is just my duty to society that I now owe £16k to ensure they loose nothing. I'm poor but I must ensure they continue to be rich.
James, still think you savers are having it hard? At least you get your money back minus £16k in tax. I now owe the government £16k and I have nothing to show for it. No savings, no house, no mortgage, no family as I can't afford to start one, no new car, no job security etc. Oh and you'll be interested to know my employer was one of the councils with cash invested in an icelandic bank. They've effectively just lost £6million and I've been off sick for 3 months. You think I've got an easy ride ahead?
No doubt the government will bail out the councils who've lost their money in icelandic banks too. That basically means that I'm going to owe the government even more money from my wages just to pay my own wages.
Yep, the rich have got a hard life...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

I think you got a little lost with your positioning around halfway through that - it started to sound as if you thought I had savings to lose. (You'll note I asked questions, rather than made statements.)
Many people have been careful with money all their lives - I still work 50-60 hours a week to earn my crust too you know!
Just because I'm saying its not the fault of one group of people, does not mean I am saying it is *everybody* else thats at fault.
The fault lies at the door of so many people in this country - from so many walks of life.
There are the greedy bankers, the get-rich-quick hedgies, those who belived that they could afford their mortages if interest rates went up after they remortgaged to buy a car/holiday/etc, there are those who put things on cards with no expectation or consideration of affordability long-term.
As you point out, private companies won't take the hit for the losses, its hard working people who try to live sensibly that foot the bill.
I guess I am lucky that I don't like debt, so I've been striving to pay off my mortgage before taking out other debts - I have no need or desire for a fancy car (although my current motor is only 5 years old, so quite 'new' in my eyes). It bugs me that people doing the opposite will be the ones that win.
In a flippant sense, I'd like to see what would happen if the economy was left to self-destruct, but the pragmatist inside reminds me that employment/crime rates/inflation are all linked to having a fluid economy. I also remember that so many businesses require loans/overdrafts/invoice discounting to fund their continued operation - if banks can't afford to lend, or these businesses can't afford to borrow, more businesses go to the wall, leading to a worsening economic state.
A part of the reason banks are struggling is because savers do not have confidence in getting their money back, hence they are taking it whilst they can - this leads to a shortage of money within institutions, because the bank has already lent it to other people who can't afford to pay it back.
The people you should direct your anger at are those living down the road who got a new car on the never-never, as well as the bankers who trusted them when they said they could pay it back.

Incidentally, I've had two holidays this year. One on the Isle of Skye, and one spent at home - I'm not exactly "livin' the high-life" myself you know. Wink