cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ban the Burka

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Ban the Burka

A very interesting article in today's paper by  Dr Taj Hargey Director of  the Muslim education centre who is asking people to sign up to a formal petition to get 100,000 people to sign so that parliament can debate the issue.
In the article ( page 15. Daily mail) he clearly gives reasons why it should be banned as it has no connection to religion.
He is in my opinion a very brave man to take a stand on this issue and I hope he gets the support of 100,000 people.
Please try and read the article before responding.
137 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Ban the Burka

I have heard this argument before by prominent Muslims. Would love to read this, do you have a link please?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Link referred to http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2695181/Why-I-Muslim-launching-campaign-ban-burka-Britain.ht...
A word of advice - if this thread degenerates in the manner other threads have it will be locked
Community Veteran

I think it all comes down to being sensible.
The burka is fine by me but....
the right time right place has to be taken into account.
Walk around the street ok.
Courts and numerous security issues not so ok.
Community Veteran

The French have a good solution to this situation. They've banned all people from wearing clothing/masks their face in public. This has already withstood a challenge in court.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
TORPC
Grafter

So no balaclavas for the kids in winter time then Tongue
Community Veteran

Proper Balaclava's like the one's my dear old mum used to knit for us in the 50s don't hide the face unless worn back to front.
nanotm
Pro

I think the imam is a brave man who will soon be decried for his false beliefs and have a fatwa issued against him by the "true followers of the faith", its long been argued that this item of cultural garb is oppressive and should be outlawed, a person walking down the street should not be doing so with there face obscured unless there is a health alert (such as sars) or the weather is sub zero to do otherwise is to indicate that you are up to no good.......
if someone believes that wearing this garb is important to there worship then by all means apply it on the steps of the prayer house and not in any other public space, something many people have argued to have made law several times in the past some of whom have been called all kinds of labels and its something that because its a fundamentalist prerogative to insist they be allowed to wear it (this point is widely known) has caused a lot of ill will to the remainder of Muslims across the world for not standing up and saying something about this perversion of Islam fuelling the belief that if they don't stand up for decency and common good and equality that they are at heart just cowardly supporters of the fundamentalists, I am pleased this follower of Islam has stood up to be counted and hope his efforts are successful and that they go some way to diluting the misconception that not standing up for decency is the same as supporting the lunatic fringe!
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
The French have a good solution to this situation. They've banned all people from wearing clothing/masks their face in public. This has already withstood a challenge in court.

Don't see any evidence of the ban in ski resorts.
Community Veteran

here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ban_on_face_covering
TORPC
Grafter

I also think we should ban hoodies on hot days
The amount of youngsters, in gangs, wearing hoodies this weather, is appalling especially around the small shopping areas
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ban_on_face_covering

Thanks for that, a good read!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
I also think we should ban hoodies on hot days

I think a sweating hoody is one of the funniest summer sights.
Devonian
Grafter

Of course it should be banned.
It is a sign of repression that has no place on British streets.
I will sign the petition just as soon as I find it!
Community Veteran

The Daily Mail article is a little confusing - it talks about the burqa, yet all the pictures are of the niqab. Does Taj Hargey propose to ban the burqa, niqab and/or hijab?