cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ban for using your mobile phone at the wheel of your car ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Ban for using your mobile phone at the wheel of your car ?

I wouldn't go so far as to Jail them, unless their usage caused a serious accident, but caught using a hand held mobile whilst driving should at least lead to an immediate one month driving ban, IMHO.
With the vehicle being impounded, as happens with no Insurance, Driving License etc.
With costs incurred by the offender.
And you still see so many using a hand held mobile phone whilst driving.
I like the idea that some Police Forces use a Van / Lorry to look down into cars to catch offenders.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2974402/Crackdown-drivers-using-phones-wheel-blocked-ministe...

I find that even using a Bluetooth enabled Phone in the Car whilst driving can be distracting, so always stop, or terminate the call till I can pull over.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Ban for using your mobile phone at the wheel of your car ?

I agree rules need to be stricter, jailing serves no purpose, so taking the car away to help enforce the ban is a good idea.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
I wouldn't go so far as to Jail them, unless their usage caused a serious accident, but caught using a hand held mobile whilst driving should at least lead to an immediate one month driving ban, IMHO.
With the vehicle being impounded, as happens with no Insurance, Driving License etc.
With costs incurred by the offender.
And you still see so many using a hand held mobile phone whilst driving.

And for using a Tablet, or Smartphone for web surfing, or email checking etc whilst driving .... an immediate 3 month ban, with car & device impounded..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The police should enforce the existing law.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro

The current Law, and it's lack of enforcement, does not appear to deter Drivers using their Mobiles whilst diving.
A harsher regime should, in theory, mean less Drivers using their mobiles, and so easier to enforce.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've almost been knocked down by people yapping on their phones a couple of times, first one was a woman in a range rover who ran a red light (therefore it was in theory safe for me to cross, 'til she came speeding round the corner), second was some dave in a dirty white transit who didn't see the big thick white stripes on the road and black & white the poles either side with orange flashing balls on top, and he shouted at me... Roll eyes
So yeah, ban them from driving, and have their confiscated devices smashed in front of them by the judge, aswell as applying fines and whatnot...
Community Veteran

Well one of my good friends nearly lost his daughter, his wife was using her phone in the car and they crashed, truck hit side of the vehicle where daughter was sitting, she pulled out into a road with oncoming traffic.
Community Veteran

Not forgetting drivers fiddling with their satnavs while on the move.
Fixes: 47

This law appears to be one of the most ignored of all driving laws.
It was never going to be enforced in the same way as speeding due to lack of resources but I fully support whatever penalty is imposed.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Certainly agree with most of the views expressed here but so few drivers are caught before they have an accident due to the reduction of police on the roads.
I understand it is fairly easy to trace mobile phone activity as the signal switches to the nearest  phone mast when travelling any distance so for example if phone number xxxx  signal moves from mast a to mast b in a set time it would be possible to estimate the speed the phone user was travelling at, link that to the  ANPR system which would link vehicle to phone so a driver on his own could hardly claim a passenger used the phone.
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Totally agree with a fixed ban. I've seen handheld calls and texts being performed with almost disastrous results as I'm sure so have others. I've also nearly been hit by vehicles with blacked out side windows. Again, car off the road for a month. I think the Police are somewhat hampered with pathetic punishments whereas an immediate impound would likely give them an incentive.
Let's be careful out there !
Fixes: 125

I think it's probably easier for the police to sit in their cars/vans with their speed detectors than to actually do something active/positive where mobile use is involved.
The law has recently changed regarding tail-gaiting but I don't see any reduction or police presence.
In the first couple of years after passing my test there were often police vehicles to be seen parked in their special lay-bys on A roads and motorways as well as a regular presence on the road.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Since I normally see at least one driver on the phone EVERY DAY*, I can't see them actually ENFORCING the CURRENT law, never mind actually any new ones.
*I only usually drive <4 miles a day!