cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balls!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Balls!!

Any of you guys tried the new Gillette Fusion "roller ball" razor? I always like to try out innovations in razors on the principle that one of these days I'm going to have a "Eureka" moment having found a razor that fulfils all my likes.
Anyway, I used a roller ball razor this morning. Its surprisingly heavy and not particularly well-balanced, the blade head is much bigger than it appears inside the packaging (clever package design that!!) and a little like shaving with a small shovel. I got quite a good shave from it, but then I would expect to do so with any razor with a new blade in it.
Did the roller ball improve the shaving experience? I don't think so, facial flesh moves around under the razor just as well. Do I think its a gimmick?
yes, I think I do. But time will tell...but not too long, I purchased the £12 one (from Tesco's) that doesn't come with any spare blades, I don't think I will be rushing out to buy another pack of blades.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Balls!!

That's where they make the money, sell the razor at a bargain price and charge the earth for new blades.
Fixes: 124

I've tried using the two free ones I got last year. Can't say I noticed any improvement and yes, I agree, it's a gimmick. Can get just as good a shave using a pack of 10 for £1.99 Huh
My dad always used Gillette insisting that Wilkinson blades weren't as good. In the last decade of his life he switched to the cheep ones and no-one noticed any difference.
Since getting the electric shaver I haven't ever gone back to using blades.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I've tried I think practically every brand of electric shaver (often gifts) and I've never had one that doesn't leave me with the feeling I still need a shave after using them.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
Since getting the electric shaver I haven't ever gone back to using blades.

Urgh... electric? Everytime i use mine it leaves my skin irritated - which only shows up a day later. Most of the time i just use the sideburn trimmer to cut away the main bit and leave the rest as stubble - far easier lol.
I don't mind wet shaving and prefer the cleaner look however it's the constant need for new blades that i can't be dealing with.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 104

have now been using a shavette or safety razor for a year now and still find them a better shave than the gillette fusion pro power plus (or whatever).
very cheap blades too..
Will Moderate For Thanks

Quote from: 7up
Urgh... electric? Everytime i use mine it leaves my skin irritated - which only shows up a day later.
Quite the opposite with me - a blade shave left my skin red and irritated as well as dry and blotchy but doesn't happen with the electric.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

When I saw this topic, I thought it was going to another political topic!
I got one a few weeks ago (£8 from Tesco!  On offer when they were first out).  My previous razor was virtually the same without the ball.  I've not really noticed any difference is using it, or the finish I get.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pjmarsh
When I saw this topic, I thought it was going to another political topic!

Uhmm!! that wasn't the furthest thought from my mind when I posted it actually, I've been waiting for someone to make the political connection Wink Give him is due though, he was always clean shaven.
Third shave with the roller ball this morning, and I've decided I don't like it, that large spade like head makes it difficult in some areas - upper lip for instance - just right for someone who has dug their own grave.
Anybody want to buy a cheap razor, only used three times?....

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I'll refrain from commenting on clean shaven balls  Tongue

^^^^^^^
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just because he's now unemployed it is no reason to tell him to get a shave.  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.