cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baled Out!!

Community Veteran

Baled Out!!

Gareth Bale has been transferred from Tottenham to Madrid.  On the radio tonight it has been stated that his salary will be £300,000 per week.  This is in addition to his signing on package.
I'm not as football fan but I have to wonder if any footballer is worth £300k a week  Undecided
8 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Baled Out!!

When you consider the value of end league position, champions league qualification (and progress in the trophy) the money a club can earn is staggering, we're talking €10.5m for winning the champions league, €13m for winning the league (as well as TV rights on top of that), so having the "best" players increases the odds of the team reaching the later stages (and winning) so earning them more money.  Is Bale worth more than the prize money for winning the league though? Good question!
Community Veteran

I wonder what would happen if some of the rich club owners decided to move on.  Undecided
Fixes: 47

Quote from: artmo
I'm not as football fan but I have to wonder if any footballer is worth £300k a week  Undecided

Or 156 hospital consultants Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

Or even £300 a week.
The money in football is obscene and I believe to be unnecessarily so Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I guess at the end of the day it's the fans that decide.  They seem happy to pay for entry to the games.  I have friends who have season tickets to Arsenal which cost just under £1000 a season. This gets them into home games and a few extra matches outside the league. Apparently there is a waiting list for season tickets so the price does not seem to deter people.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I read / heard somewhere that on the day of the transfer in excess of 250,000 replica 'BALE no 11' strips were expected to be sold from the Official Real Madrid Store at around £60 each.
Assuming the usual  'eye watering' mark-up', shirt sales by the end of the week could finance the transfer.
Community Veteran

That's right, a lot of the income is generated by off-field sales.  It's beneficial to both player and club Smiley
James
Grafter

I wonder what would happen if some of the rich club owners decided to move on.   Undecided

Because they're a "Royal" club they are bankrolled by the Bank of Spain, I believe.
They're half a billion in debt.