Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baked Beans and Sausges

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Baked Beans and Sausges

One of my favourite "quick bite" meals, is Baked Beans and Sausages.

Used to live on them, when I lived in a Bedsit, and was un-employed, many many years ago.

Heinz was supposed to be "the best"... but I only ever bought one small tine a week, for my Sunday Treat. the rest of the week would be Tesco, ( only because it was within walking distance and nearer than Safeway). .

Recently, ( start of lockdown ) .. I revived my interest and did some "taste testing"..

Heinz was the "standard " to meet or beat...

and it was beaten...

1st choice now is Morrisons.....

2nd choice is ASDA.....

3rd choice is ALDI .....

4th choice is LIDL    ....

Heinz don`t get a look - in..

15 REPLIES 15
MrAllen2021
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Baked Beans and Sausges

Meh, I'm still boycotting Tesco because of what happened 2 weeks ago, but their stuff is the greatest.

Do you see? Cheesy
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 202

@shutter 

Interesting. It makes me wonder if it's the baking of the beans or the sauce. I suspect that if you washed all of this off the beans that they would all have the same bland flavour?

If so you are comparing the 'sauces', not the baked beans. We all have our own favourite combination of salt, sweeteners and other assorted, probably artificial, flavourings that more than likely make up the gunge that coat the beans..

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1  Most food(s) , once inside the masticator, taste as an "all in one" kind of taste.  depending, as you say, on the "sauce" they are delivered in.

Obviously, foods not so prepared, e.g. Fish. Chicken, Meat(s). and eaten in their own "right".. do, indeed have individual flavours for the taste buds to enjoy...

With that in mind... I wonder why Curry is so popular.... 99% of the taste is the spices... and the other 1% is the imagination... e.g... does Chicken Curry taste of chicken, and then the curry ?   or Lamb curry taste of Lamb..... ????Huh

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I go for Lidl's. Half of one of their tins, that's four little sausages and  beans, and add some chips makes a nice simple and quick meal for me.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Are you talking here @shutter  about those tins of beans with those 'sausages' in them?

If so, then they have to have be one of the worst ideas on Gods good earth. The beans just did not taste like beans. and to call those 'sausages' sausages.... 

Yuk.

Nice picture on the tin though. 🙂    

As for beans generally well you get what you pay for but they don't taste like they used to and are more 'has beens' than beans. When we do have them the Mrs put's a dollop of some Worcester sauce or whatever over them to give 'em a bit a kick.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 202

@shutter 

Thinking about your curry tasting only of curry sauce takes me back many years when we had a group of Chinese in the company attending an acceptance trial on equipment that we were supplying. Every lunchtime we sent out for our choice of food from our local Chinese restaurant. The only dish that our customers refused to eat was the curry. This they said was because you never knew what was in it and whether the ingredients were fresh or had gone over.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Baldrick1 

I may be wrong on this but that makes sense as food spoils quickly in a hot environment and hot countries for the most part spices were added to foods to distract from the gaminess or oncoming bad taste/spoilage of food. Many spices especially hot or flavorful ones such as cinnamon and cloves added a slight bit of preservation and inhibit bacterial growth.

Lots of garlic seems to work as well... but don't tell the Mrs. 

Thomas A. Edison
shutter
Community Veteran

@Minivanman  Yes, indeedy... as you say so often in other threads.......  Each to his own ! .

Buying a "larger" 450gm tin, as @billnotben  says... is more "economical" than buying 2 small tins... but "way back then" I was not "that" savvy about pricing and shopping.... shame really, cos I could have been a millionaire, by now !  Cry

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Yes indeedy indeed @shutter each to their own and if you enjoy them great, but sausages they ain't - at least not in my book and I did find they spoilt the taste of those beans such as they used to be. Maybe these days it makes no difference.

Bon appétit 😉

Thomas A. Edison
Mav
Fixes: 436

@Minivanman wrote:

Are you talking here @shutter  about those tins of beans with those 'sausages' in them?

If so, then they have to have be one of the worst ideas on Gods good earth. The beans just did not taste like beans. and to call those 'sausages' sausages.... 

Yuk.

I'm with you on that one @Minivanman 

I do like a tin of hot beans poured over a couple of pork pies straight from the fridge with a knob of butter. Yum

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 7

I used to quite like those tins of Heinz beans & sausages when I was a kid, but not now.  SWTSMBO bought a tin accidentally a year or so ago and didn't realise until after she'd opened them.  As she doesn't eat meat I helped her out by eating them for her, but perhaps meat is the wrong word here as I thought they were a bit yuk.

No, if I'm having sausage & beans it's got to be a couple of nice porkers done under the grill with beans poured over them on the plate.  😋

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Less of a sausage more of a hot dog I'd say, and we all know what they are made of - but in case you don't...

"Hot dogs are made of “mechanically separated meat,” defined as “a paste-like and batter-like meat product produced by forcing bones with attached edible meat under high pressure through a sieve or similar device"

Yuk 

No 'animal rights veggie' et al by they way as I love my meat and I'm far to old to change even if (and I don't) want to but I do like to be aware as best I can of just what I am eating and without getting paranoid about it.

After all, we know what route those eggs take when being laid by chickens... don't we? 😎

Thomas A. Edison
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Branson baked beans for me….

Richmond thick pork sausages…..

Impossible to beat.

😊

+ HP sauce ( for the sausages)

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Mav
Fixes: 436

@gleneagles wrote:

Branson baked beans for me….

Didn't know Richard had branched out into food these days😂

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still