cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baggage Allowance on Transatlantic Flight

Community Veteran

Baggage Allowance on Transatlantic Flight

Some airlines have limited their free baggage allowance in economy on transatlantic flights to one bag. They are charging $50 for a second bag. Looks like other airlines will follow this policy.
British Airways is one of them.  From October they are limiting free baggage to 1 bag and charging £35 for a second bag.
Virgin will not be following this policy at present and still allow 2 bags.
Worth checking if like me you've been used to taking 2 bags for free.
48 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Baggage Allowance on Transatlantic Flight

dont they have a weight limit?, just use a bigger bag
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

There is a weight and size limit
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Thought the size was just for the cabin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Not on transatlantic but the size used to be very generous
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats changed a bit since I last travelled
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The size and weight of bags is important to others around the airport. When in security, if a late passenger was rushing for a flight, they would often be sent with all their baggage through passport control and security direct to the gate.
At security of course all the bags were X-rayed, now it is a known ploy by regular passengers to travel with too many and over-loaded bags and arrive at check-in just as the flight is about to close, thereby avoiding the excess baggage charges that other less canny passengers have applied to them.
At security, the plan is to "drop" the bags and run for the archway detector. The security operative at the loading end of the X-ray machine will simply leave them where they were left, it is not unknown for an unattended baggage security alert to follow this action, his/her job is to ensure correct spacing not to lift heavy bags (that are not supposed to exceed 9kg) 4 feet off the floor, security staff are not insured for it either, and many an unwary staff member has been off work for some time (unpaid) for ignoring this.
When the panicking passenger is sent back to attend to his own lifting, with a pointed cool gesture of "on here please" they often need to be reminded that it was they who packed so much in their bags, just exactly why do they expect other people to handle them for them. There are other methods of getting over-weight bags on to an aircraft, by using a little fore-thought and sending them as cargo, for which they can be collected and delivered, at much lower rates than check-in excess baggage. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Irrespective of being prepared to pay for excess baggage the airlines will not handle a bag of more than 70 lbs for H & S reasons.
At least BA is upfront about the reason for the charges - they say it will help them back to profitability.
Community Veteran

Artmo, just take your second bag on as carry on. You can take a bag plus briefcase/laptop case. The carry on bag will have to comply to size/weight rules but as long as it fits in the overhead locker it will be ok.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

under EU reg/ H&S the limit a person should lift is 20 KG and has been since the 80's
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
At least BA is upfront about the reason for the charges - they say it will help them back to profitability.

I don't understand why they don't just put the charge on the price of the ticket.I mean who falls for this bullshit anyway?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@ Artmo, did you say you had to use a walking stick since you hip Op?
from BA
Allowances for those passengers with limited mobility
If you use a wheelchair or mobility aid and are travelling on a route where the allowance is one bag:
    * we will increase the allowance to two bags
    * the joint weight must not exceed 23kg (51lbs)
Community Veteran

I've used 25kgm bags of coal many times since that date ?
itsme
Grafter

Believe that the 20kg is for women and it's 25kg for men. That was what I was told 3 years ago when I did a lifting course. So women can't work on building sites as bags of cement are 25kg.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could be correct, its 13 years since I was a Safety Rep Cool