cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bag of Bacteria

Community Veteran

Bag of Bacteria

It looks like the bags for life brigade are in for a nasty shock.  It has been discovered these bags could be full of bacteria.
Bag for Life
12 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Re: Bag of Bacteria

when was the last time you put raw meat into a bag?  it's always shrinkwrapped or in its own plastic bag.
Scaremongering nonsense Daily Mail!
Community Veteran

Yup - mine are also full of plaster, bits of components and anything else I've ever used the bags for  Grin
Community Veteran

@Kelly, not scaremongering by the DM.  They were simply reporting research carried out by Hugh Pennington, emeritus professor of bacteriology at the University of Aberdeen
The article was also carried by other newspapers including the Daily Telegraph.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Never gave it a second thought until this topic!
Somehow I doubt the missus will worry about it. In the thread about washing your hands everyone seemed to defend not bothering with the immunity building excuse..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
...these bags could be full of bacteria.

I think you're meant to wash them... by taking them down to a stream and beating them with a stone.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Somehow I doubt the missus will worry about it. In the thread about washing your hands everyone seemed to defend not bothering with the immunity building excuse..

Something to get the obsessives concerned Wink Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'm sure our local Tesco used to have signs on the trolleys saying that kids should not be carried in the main body of the trolley, the signs are not there now and umpteen people routinely push their kids around in the part of the trolley where you place food - god only knows where those kids might have been (or what they might have stood in) - I'd worry much more about that than my re-usable bags.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It might be interesting if there were some properly researched statistics of people suffering/not suffering infection from reusing shopping bags. At present it is just "might-be" Health and Safety twaddle.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Thunderclap
Quote from: artmo
...these bags could be full of bacteria.

I think you're meant to wash them... by taking them down to a stream and beating them with a stone.

I`d never do that to my bag missus  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

It seems logical that the Daily Mail would report that shopping bags are covered in bacteria, seeing as they were the ones that reported that Shopping trolleys contain more dirt and grime than average public toilet back in March.
The dirty trolleys are bound to rub dirt onto the shopping bags and vice versa.
Crazy
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

and straight from that article:
Nobody routinely cleans and disinfects shopping carts.’ He added that he was not sure how likely it was a child would get sick from touching a contaminated handle.
His colleague Dr Neil Fishman, an infectious disease expert at the University of Pennsylvania however added: 'I’d be worried if there was any evidence of any disease outbreaks related to shopping cart use.
‘There isn’t - and we’ve been using them for a long time. My guess is that there are more bacteria on a car seat than on a shopping cart.’
Previous studies have shown that we are exposed to hundreds of bugs whenever we come into contact with objects used by large numbers of other people.
British researchers recently discovered that cash machines have the same amounts and kinds of bacteria as are found in a public toilet.
Swabs taken from both sites contained pseudo-monads and bacillus bacteria types, both of which are behind common afflictions such as diarrhoea.
A separate U.S. study found that there are over 25,000 germs per square inch on a phone, 20,000 on a desk, and 3,000 on a keyboard.
The average toilet seat had only 49.

So, why exactly are we worried about shopping bags when everything else is just as bad Cheesy  Perhaps we should carry our shopping around on a toilet seat. Cheesy