Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bag, Sock, Bag

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Bag, Sock, Bag

Minor hand surgery a couple of days ago, bandaged finger for a week.
(Pinky finger, so I can still type !!)
Dissolvable stitches. (Info I found)
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2608.aspx?CategoryID=69&
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2412.aspx
Excellent Surgeon, no pain, during or after Surgery.
Problem now is keeping large (3.5cm) bandage dry.
Ever tried having a shower using just one hand, washing up etc ?
A plastic bag secured with rubber bands seemed the obvious solution, but still let a bit of water in.
I scoured the shops, looking for large oversized waterproof gloves or mittens, of course it's the wrong time of year.
This prompted me to come up with a new solution...

Bag, Sock, Bag.

A small nappy bag with no holes (don't ask) over hand, followed by a long sock which stretched up to elbow, plus an additional larger bag secured with rubber band.
It worked a treat.
The sock kept the first bag in place, a much better seal and grip than rubber bands, with no leakage, no slippage, and provided a better base than skin to secure the second bag, no leaks.
Fully tested, as above, no leaks.
And there is enough give in the combination to allow some gripping.
I wonder, is there a market for extra really large waterproof washing up type gloves for post surgery patients ?
Or something similar for post foot operation surgery, I think Bag, Large Sock, Bag may work there too.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish the same dry result by different means ?

(Though it is more fun to have someone else wash you, and do the washing up etc !!)

16 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Bag, Sock, Bag

I don't know about for post surgical patients especially but there are gloves you can get which go all the way up to the shoulder, most commonly there disposable things and I've seen them used by many a vet who has to shove his arm all the way into the backside of an animal to check on the baby.....
also there are heavy duty gloves in longer lengths designed for things like drain cleaning (with rods) there normally black but possibly available in other colours
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: nanotm
I've seen them used by many a vet who has to shove his arm all the way into the backside of an animal to check on the baby.....

Thanks, never thought of that.
I'll check in the Stables and see if there are any clean ones around.
Before that, I've also found a Sock very useful in another way...
The Bin Men have just been and emptied the Wheelie Bins (No Strike Here), and I usually wear light gardening gloves to put the bins back into their shelter (to avoid transfer of bugs from others, via Bin Mens' Hands), and a sock has just come in very useful for protecting hand & bandage from bugs, as the Gardening Gloves are too small at the moment to go on my hand.
nanotm
Pro

yeah I was lucky when I needed such things as I was living on a farm but as I remember I had to use adult gloves despite being a youngster so the sleeve had to doubled over, still it made it possible to go swimming and still keep the bandaged hand /arm dry (since I had more than one oopsee as a kid Smiley )
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
I've seen them used by many a vet who has to shove his arm all the way into the backside of an animal to check on the baby.....

Thanks, never thought of that.

Nope, none found, clean or otherwise.
I'm told the fingers would be too small for what I'm looking for, so would have to fold over the hand section, which rather defeats the object !
My Bag, Sock, Bag method worked very well this morning in the Shower.
Sock near elbow just got a little wet, though not soaked, just spray, hung up to dry, ready for next Shower...
I could even hold the Soap !!
Outer bag disposed of, Inner bag totally dry.
Infinity
Pro

Went on a voyage of discovery today, in a local Town.
Picked up a pair of BBQ Oven Mitts, so now at least I can use two hands when taking food out of the oven.
The left hand, (bandaged) is the one I normally take cooked Sausages tray out with, won't fit into the Fireman's type Oven gloves, so I have been using my right hand, gloved, and I very nearly touched the tray twice with my unguarded hand, having to swap the tongs hand over.
(Cooks day off today.)
Problem solved.
Also, I discovered something called Cohesive Support Bandage, 4cms wide, which clings to itself, is re-usable, and is much more robust than Rubber Bands, to secure the outer plastic bag, and can be applied with one hand.
nanotm
Pro

glad you've found a better solution to the problem
Infinity
Pro

Bag, Sock, Bag    Mk 2
Development continues.
I now have an Opposable Thumb facility !
I cut a thumb hole in the Sock, and there is enough give in the plastic bags, for me to stick my thumb out !
Inside Bag, Hand & Sock all stayed dry.
(I've never done so much washing up !)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well if it was just one finger there are certain rubber products on the market that could keep your finger dry, unfortunately I can't use the name of the product otherwise the mods would censor the word  Wink
Infinity
Pro

Had a word with our Vet, but as she is female, any long protective gloves she has are too small.
A one person Practise.
Not worth getting any larger ones in, only a few days now until the bandage is removed.

Infinity
Pro

My "Nurse" changed the bandage this morning, the finger looks good and is healing well.
A smaller bandage now, but still too large for rubber gloves.
As it happens, went to Tesco this morning, and picked up some hole-less bags, some from the F&V Section, some new small ones from the self service checkout, so I have a plentiful supply.
Having said that, the Bag, Glove, Bag system has worked very well.
The inner bag has always remained totally dry, the sock ever so slightly damp in the shower, the outer bag is disposed of wet.
And the thinner bandage makes the "pinky" feel less unwieldy now.
The Cohesive Support Bandage only works once... when wet it loses it's grip, so only useful in the dry.

Letter from Consultant Surgeon who did the operation yesterday, seeing him Friday.
(Other) fingers crossed all is well and no infection found.
Infinity
Pro

My "Nurse" changed the bandage this morning, the finger looks good and is healing well.
A smaller bandage now, but still too large for rubber gloves.

And again Tuesday... smaller profile bandage.
I can now just about fit most of hand into a large washing up glove, the feeling of freedom being able to individually move water protected fingers !
Finger is looking good when bandage is off.
So many stitches !!
And I've just realised........
I've now had Plastic Surgery twice this last year !
The Consultant Surgeon looks like a Borg, with his magnifying lenses on.
A really nice person, extremely knowledgeable and competent.
Tells me exactly what he is doing, and why throughout the Surgery.
Infinity
Pro

If anyone is interested, there is an excellent programme on BBC4 Monday night.
Dissected: The Incredible Human Hand
Mon, Jul 21 · 22:55-23:55 · BBC4
Documentary in which a team of anatomy experts, led by Dr George McGavin, dissects a real human hand - and uncovers why it is unique in the animal kingdom.
They find out how hands provide power and precision
And a related programme on the foot.
The following Monday ?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01mv2md
First Broadcast February 2014, I recorded them both at that time.
Fixes: 47

I remember watching it in earlier in February and it's gruesome but fascinating.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Infinity
Pro

I gave a copy of the programme to my Consultant Surgeon this lunchtime, he was part trained by the Surgeon in the programme !
He had seen it too in February, but said the programme copy would be useful for his junior trainees.
And he liked the Bag, Sock, Bag idea with thumb hole mod, he brought a colleague in to see it...
Back next week for stitches removal, a small bandage applied today to help keep Pinky clean..
Then it's the dreaded Hand Physio again....

We also had a further chat about Hybrid Cars, he has one too, which we had discussed in the Operating Theatre.
I didn't watch the surgery a year ago, but watched most of it last week, having seen the video helped.