cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad weather grounds Britain

Community Veteran

Bad weather grounds Britain

As usual of course - Britains not coping well with the flurry of snow. Maybe  we don't get so much as Scandinavia, Canada etc - so it would not be economic to invest in the equipment these countries have to quickly clear roads, runways, railways etc.
hope nobody here was badly affected. It seems london and SE caught it the worse.
392 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Bad weather grounds Britain

Still snow flurries here in Sunny Sheffield Roll eyes
Most side roads I can see from my office are still covered with no sign of a thaw...and the guys from the garage across the road are having great fun with customers' cars Shocked
-7 degrees Celsius in my garden at 6:30 this morning.
Quote from: mal0z
it would not be economic to invest in the equipment ...needed... to quickly clear roads, runways, railways etc.

It's a very fair answer to complaints about lack of sufficient resources to handle unusual or extreme weather conditions but the complaints keep coming.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

Yes, our roads and pavements are still covered with snow here............. had to go into Worksop this morning so used the bus as yesterday when I went out it was very slippy[I had a slight skid but luckily was able to stop!] the road to main road.  They have not gritted the bus route - only A roads and town centre seem to have been done.  Waiting for bus back home there was a long queue for folk waiting for bus to Doncaster as it was 25 minutes late as it was held up by an "incident"  on A60...............
I am not happy driving on the side roads when it is like this.
Denzil
Grafter

No snow here, but it was frozen this morning. The trip into work was quite entertaining, as the road I use to get to work goes up to about 800 feet, and it hadn't been treated. I drive a Land Rover, and even I slid straight ahead on one sharp left hand bend, missing the black and white chevron sign on the outside of the bend by a few inches Cheesy. Just as well it is a minor road and nobody was coming the other way at the time!
Community Veteran

We had a short fall of snow yesterday about 5pm and it left about 4 cm laying on the ground, and credit where due - even our small perhshire village had it's pavements swept and deiced.
The main roads seem ok along with bus routes.
I wonder what happened to town and country tyres ?. When I was young - many people had a set they put on during winter months - but modern cars /tyres are not suitable - esepcialy the very low profile types ?.
I've not been back to Scandinavia for a few years so don't recall how low profiled vehicles are equipped with studded tyres.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 65

BT Wholesale issued this briefing earlier today too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pierre_pierre
Grafter

to add to the misery caused by "£$%^&*  stealing 4 lots of copper cables from the railway between Chelmsford and Colchester in one week, the have just nicked the overhead telephone cables that feed the village of Great Saling, near Braintree
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

now if you go a bit further north it gets really parky http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/2009/12/let-it-snow-let-it-snow-let-it.shtml
Community Veteran

Friends in the US cannot believe how we grind to a halt every time it snows.  It's about time we learned a lesson from other countries that keep moving in bad conditions.
Community Veteran

I agree
Two feet of snow in Philadelphia during Sat evening Sunday morning, a snow emergency was declared (which means they get it sorted out).
Roads are plowed by  a combination of local authorities and private contractors. Vehicles parked on snow emergency routes (key routes) are removed and impounded
People are legally obliged to clear a pathway on the sidewalk out side their buildings
Schools were closed Monday while they got things sorted out. Guess what, they where all open today.
an article about this in Philly news
Here it is shambles as usual with the excuse that we don't get extreme weather often enough to justify the capital cost of dealing with the snow.
I wonder if all the people who have stranded while travelling and those who have injured themselves think the excuses are good enough
Community Veteran

I think one of the problems is there is that British attitude that Britain knows better than all those foreigners - whereas in truth many of those foreigners are just sniggering at us...
In reality Britain would be well to look at how other Europeans, Japanese etc etc do things.
Mind you the French didn't do so well with Eurostar did they - but then that is operated by mixture of Brit's and French.
Fixes: 47

It'll be our end of the train that broke Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not true, the British shuttle trains carried on and didnt suffer  (they are the ones that act as vehicle ferries)
Community Veteran

Wink
Alstom designed and built the Eurostars and it's now and out of guarantee
http://www.tradesignalonline.com/Markets/Story.aspx?id=548496&cat=5
However the Eurotunnel locomotives were designed and built by Brush Traction in Loughborough - didn't have a problem - but to be fair they don't have to travel across the north of France at 250kph which is what cooled  down the Eurostars so much. The Eurotunnel trains only travel at 160kph.

The Class 92's used for the freight trains also built by Brush were uneffected
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

None of the pavements have been treated with rock salt or been swept in Middlesbrough town center.  I nearly fell over yesterday in Middlesbrough town center I phoned the council wen I got home and told them that I nearly fell over in the town center, today the pavements are as bad as yesterday.