cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad but Beautiful

Fixes: 47

Bad but Beautiful

I'm just watching How Earth Made Us on BBC FOUR and there were scenes of steam powered trains including a double header.
I know it's bad for the environment but it's such a beautiful sight Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
8 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Bad but Beautiful

didnt think you had to go far to see them in real time
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Here you are, Strat..... two "double headers" passing at Ropley station, on the MHR (Mid Hants Railway)..... better known as "The Watercress Line"...

And a "streak" for you.... ("Bitterne")  60019.... and make a note of the instruction under the screen to go to 6.45   You will not regret seeing two GWR double heading

-dFLrc&feature=related
Enjoy...
Wink
And this one explains how the steam train drivers referred to the line..... "over the Alps"...

Fixes: 47

Beautiful...thanks Shutter Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have a video I took at Bodmin Parkway station in 2007, the Bodmin Steam train is on the LH side of the Platform and a Intercity Diesel on the RH side, the Intercity is pushing out more rubbish than the steam!
It is part of a 450M film i took, will try and edit that bit and post it
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Shutter Thanks for posting those links, appreciated
Denzil
Grafter

OK, steam engines burn coal, but there are so few of them running that their contribution to the environment is negligible.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

gave up trying on the Video, my new machine program wont do it, got down to 60M but thought that was a bit big,  Still grab below
Denzil
Grafter

I know that scene well, as I grew up in Bodmin and I'm a member of the steam railway! In all fairness to the HST,  the steam locomotive on the left appears to have just arrived, as it is sitting at the back and hasn't run round yet. It will have gone down our steep gradient (1 in 37 in places) coasting, and it looks like the fireman has just put a shovelful or two of coal on before running round. The HST, on the other hand, is pulling away up a fair gradient, so is having a certain amount of welly applied.