cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad News Culture.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Bad News Culture.

Is anyone else, like me, getting sick and tired of the bad news culture which seems to have been adopted as the norm by the media. I know it's been around for quite a while, but it seems to have been a lot worse recently. I don't believe that anything has really changed in the way the human race pursues its endless onward stagger (apart from numbers!), and my general experience of life doesn't give the impression that we are "all doomed Mr. Mainwaring", so what's the point of trying to sell news by marking everything down. We Brits must be the world's worst at turning opportunities into downright despair.
I wonder just how much damage this is doing to society? Or maybe I shouldn't even go there!  Cheesy
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Bad News Culture.

Well, I have to say I agree with you nozzer. A position that we can lay the blame for at the door of the journalist fraternity...good news doesn't sell newspapers.
Also, Brits actually like bad news I think, something to do with our in-bred "look on the bright side, every cloud has a silver lining" attitude to life in general.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

stupid Yanks, try this one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/15818910
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Or...  does my arse look big in this?  Grin
Community Veteran

As Petlew said, good news doesn't sell newspapers.  It's the same all over the world I think.
Fixes: 47

Which is one of the reasons why I never buy a newspaper any more.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

I stopped buying snoozepapers quite a few years ago.
Looking through many of the articles these days there are so many of the 'look at what this (usually non-) celebrity is wearing' type. Especially as they emerge from some club or shop. I can't believe people are really interested in this. But, how do they continuously get the pictures? Do they have photographers following just about every celeb around all the time or are these from opportunistic members of the public sending them in and getting paid a small amount to have them included in these articles?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Must be said I don't really like the papers. They're always full of doom and gloom and frankly I have enough of that in my life to outlast the newspapers for many years.
I have become quite fond of the suns website though. I try to avoid their rotten stories but look at the positive ones instead.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I think that if you are continually bombarded with bad news then it can in the long run have a depressing effect on you.
My main complaint is that they keep hammering home in both the press and television about the state of the euro and what the various outcomes might be.
This has been going on for weeks and will no doubt continue for weeks to come.
I usually  just listen to the headlines which usually covers what they will be talking about in detail.
The only paper I read is the Sunday Times as much of what's in the papers is available online and is more up to date
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
I think that if you are continually bombarded with bad news then it can in the long run have a depressing effect on you.

I'll second that from personal experience.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Quote from: gleneagles

I think it can also have a desensitising effect where similar stories no longer have an effect or give a reaction.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I remember this "newspaper" as a student Cheesy
http://www.forteantimes.com/
Its nice to know its still going, the antidote to normal news  Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra