Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad English.....

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Bad English.....

Yeah... I know it`s the Daily Mail.... but this is excrutiatingly bad...

Revealed - the inflation league table: Items that have risen and fallen the most in price since 2010, according to the Bank of England

• Cost of uni tuition has surged thanks to government policy 

• Tops the list of what has gotten more expensive since 2010

• Bank of England uses ONS data to work out what prices have fallen or risen 

According to the online "english dictionary".... gotten, is not even English.... it is North American .... and we all know how badly they speak, and understand English Language !.

15 REPLIES 15
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Bad English.....

Might not apply in this case but I'm sure I read somewhere that like Canadian French, American English is a closer to the original - something to do with emigration, preservation, and social changes.

Ask @wotsup - I'm sure he'll know. Smiley

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
JPN
Rising Star

You might be thinking of the most widely quoted example of the dialect of Tangier Island in Chesapeake Bay on the American East Coast.  It is often referred to as being close to 'Elizabethan English' as it was colonised very early on, and being isolated the dialect has remained distinct.  Some authorities however say it is more an evolved form of the Cornish dialect of the original settlers, and point to common phrases still used in Cornwall.  

Whichever is correct, the more isolated the community the more the dialect will maintain its difference, but it will still evolve with time, so won't be identical to the original.  And as the internet and television spread their influence, regional dialects will continue to decline.  (Is British English a regional dialect?)

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

gotten is the old past participle of the verb to get and is still used in the US.  Our young people are not taught English language in schools so have to learn it from (mainly US) TV.  I could give numerous examples of other Americanisms in common use in the UK, but prefer not to promote these by repetition.  Have you noticed the increase in the use of adjectives instead of adverbs?

I'd contend that there is no such thing as British English; the language of England is English.  Do the French call their language French French?  Feel free to call the various forms of English adopted by other countries whatever you like.  You've probably heard the (supposedly true) story of the American woman who asked if we named our country after their language.

I don't suppose English teachers would have been top of the list of occupations required by the first settlements, and basic teaching was probably carried out by someone considered to have some sort of education, e.g. clergymen/preachers.

Yes, it is true that emigrants in several cases have maintained the language they brought with them, while in their country of origin the language has evolved over the centuries.  For example modern Icelandic is so similar to Old Norse that they can read the old Icelandic sagas without difficulty, but they can't understand modern Norwegian without learning it.  The Icelanders prefer to call their original language Old Icelandic, and it's similar to Old English.

Had modern communications not been developed for several more centuries, I wonder whether the language of North America would still have been understood this side of the ocean.  When the USA was formed, they discussed what their official language should be, and a number of suggestions were put forward, including one of the 'Native American' languages; legend has it that English won over German by one vote.  Wall or no wall, demographers predict that before long the majority of people in the US will have Spanish as their first language.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

On the subject of French, from my time there the national language was often referred to as Norman French which is why of course on close examination it not that dissimilar to English. They still have what might be termed regional languages such that found in the Provence or more famously Brittany. 

All fascinating stuff.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman  French is the opposite to English, in many ways... they often say stuff "backwards"....   e.g.

We, English speakers, refer to N.A.T.O.    however the French refer to the same organisation as O.T.A.N.

There are many other examples in "normal" (?) French Language, and I am sure the members of this forum will be bringing them forth ! ! ..

They even drive on the wrong side of the road, too ! ! ...Cheesy

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

@shutter  Driving on the wrong side of the road isn't confined to just the French, though - all continental countries have that bad habit, as do our 'close allies' the U.S.A. Grin

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Same here in Wales where English is often spoken round the wrong way, or arsed about face as some might say! As for driving on the wrong side of the road well that's done as well but that has more to do with avoiding those bloody potholes. Knuppel

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Duplicate post removed.

Jonpe
Hero

And EU is UE in French.  Adjectives denoting colour, nationality etc. are placed after the noun in the four Romance languages of which I have some knowledge.

Luzern
Hero

We consider Latin sourced languages to be anus opposed to visage, but in turn they consider our Germanic sourced visage opposed to anus.Wink Yet we, I believe, use a lot more Latin type vocabulary, than Germans with words like Fernsprecher, Rundfunk, Krankenhaus (excludes places like Broadmoor). Think also about our fortnight and the Latin  languages' quinze jours.

Latin like English was a lingua franca of its time, but it became adapted (bastardised) sometimes to be unrecognizable to those before. That should be the proud fate of languages like ours.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Jonpe
Hero

@Luzern wrote:

Think also about our fortnight and the Latin  languages' quinze jours.

Is that the time equivalent of baker's dozen? Smiley

Latin like English was a lingua franca of its time, but it became adapted (bastardised) sometimes to be unrecognizable to those before. That should be the proud fate of languages like ours.

Are you saying that English should become extinct?

On a visit to Norway I discovered that their word for vacuum cleaner is støvsuger with støv meaning dust and suger meaning sucker.  How wonderfully descriptive; perhaps dust sucker should be the English term.

Luzern
Hero

Quinze jours is 15 days in French, whilst our fortnight is a contraction of fourteen nights. The Latin tongues count days inclusively from the first to the last, whilst Germanic tongues count the nights between each date (just as we might say to a child they have so many sleeps to a birthday). Slavics use the equivalent of two weeks, Asians something else say 'two week while'. It's a matter of a way of thinking.

Should English become extinct? It depends, what one means by the word. It could, if the number of native speakers diminished sufficiently or a superior one overcame it. Much of the World uses English as its native tongue, but in considerable variety. I think those happenings are multi directional, so over time English as we know it will be to future people as King Harold's men would be understood by us.

NOTE. All I say, is not as any kind of expert, but language has always interested me from the days I studied two live and one dead in school.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Amused at how the French understandably perhaps protect many of their words whilst refusing to use new ones such as "computer".  Mind you here in Wales it's not much better, they have goleegee (golygu) for "edit". 

Luzern
Hero

In English gift means present, in German  Gift is poison. It's the mother-in-laws birthday do I give a small or a big one?Undecided

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

Early 60's standing in a queue at King's Cross. Got talking to an American standing behind me, probably the first American I'd met. We had a long conversation about cars. I was talking about the ones on the road behind us, he was talking about the ones on the track ahead. "Are all cars the same ?" he asked..........