Backups

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Backups

Sunday is Computer Backup day, had a good clear out of duplicated DVD's
Time Machine x 3, straight external HDD copies x 2, Carbon Copy Cloner x 1
Better safe than sorry.
Fortunately only ever needed a few Time Machine partial restores, after an accidental deletion.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Backups

I stupidly don't tend to do many backups.. i suspect i'll pay for that (again) one day.
I remember once loosing a 17GB partition due to an install of XOSL boot loader going a bit wrong and installing on the wrong partition. I spent 3 days running one of those recovery programs.. (a free trial one). It claimed to have found some stuff but not much.. so i gave up and took all my stuff back from older backups on CDs that i had at the time.
Luckily i've not had a major data disaster for a while and i do backup every 3-4 months but thats not really adequate and i must do it more often.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

all the stuff i would want to keep and couldn't replace is stored in cloud storage (google drive), with a few other files in dropbox.
that's enough of a backup for me.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I also LAN backup to an older iMac, of important Data, Docs, Photo's, eMails etc, in effect a duplicate but manually copied backup iMac.
Using LAN, I can copy GB's in minutes, it's very fast.
Wi-fi too, but that takes longer of course.
As for online storage, I am dubious, as you cannot access it if the internet, ISP or router goes down...
Though it is useful for immediate transfer of Smartphone backups away from Home, short term only.
Android Smartphones and Tablet & Google Drive in my case.
At home, I just connect via cable
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

My 'C' drive is copied to two externals (using a different backup program for each), once a month, photographs and important documents to externals once a week.
John
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I mirror my documents to the cloud an external (weekly)  and a second pc (in another room) which also happily means the photos I take on my phone get copied to my pc's as well as the cloud and thus the external when I connect it and sync that as well, this also means if I'm out somewhere and suddenly find I need access to something I can look it up on my phone, which has helped me a great deal in the not so distant past (because I always forget to pick up the paperwork).
but like most people what fits my needs will be overkill for them or will be not enough Tongue
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I do a full backup on the first of the month and daily incremental backups for the rest of the month. It all happens while I take the dogs out for their morning walk.
When installing new software I do a backup first.
This has saved my bacon once or twice!  Smiley
Geoff,
York.