cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Medium

Fixes: 135

Backup Medium

I was just reading some Facebook posts by an old lady friend of mine.

She is considering changing the battery on her laptop and has bought some blank videotapes in order to backup her photos in case the battery change goes wrong Shocked

Customer and Forum Moderator.

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Backup Medium

Makes perfect sense to me... Crazy

Here's me converting old and personally valuable analogue VHS recordings of family to digital....

and there are folk out there doing quite the reverse Smiley

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

One of my video cameras records onto tape (Hi 8mm) and I had a devil of a job to get these tapes I recorded off the camcorder to laptop for editing. I managed to find a gadget on Ebay for less than a fiver that did exactly what I wanted to do. It's amazing what you find if you look hard enough. Another camcorder I have has a built-in hard drive and works great with Windows 7, just hook it up to laptop and whatever is on the camcorder opens up in my video editing prog.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

My old camcorder (Sony DCR-TRV22E) is a MiniDV tape camcorder, and a few months back I thought I'd use if it still worked, and amazingly, even though software and OSes have evolved since the camera was new, it still worked and offloaded some taped footage into (formerly Sony) Vegas and Magix Movie Edit Pro over Firewire... Smiley

As for my older 8mm/Hi8 tapes, er, yeah, haven't got anything to transfer those with...........

I had a MiniDV camcorder which connected to my PC via Firewire but an OS change meant that the Firewire card in my PC stopped working due to no compatible drivers.

My DSLR works fine as a video camera albeit with a lesser zoom range than my old MiniDV.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

@Strat

Do what I did is my advice.

I got a Blu Ray burner, and installed it in my desktop.

Never used it for years, cost about £80 at the time. Said it before, but I was on here trying to help people on backups and realised I wasn't doing it myself. Then it shocked me to realise I have some important photos I wanted to keep if something happened. I found them thankfully. I had copied them onto my PC.

First time I used the Blu Ray burner (had it for a few years), and there is free software which does the job. So I burnt 12Gb of my photos. I don't care about anything else, after all a document you write once a problem is solved you don't care.

For your laptop I would recommend it and get an external caddy for a Blu Ray burner.

I will never trust those on-line backup storage companies again, unless it was run by Microsoft or Google et al. I had a disagreement with one who deleted my files. Then they had the cheek to send me an e-mail saying "You haven't synced for days, we are not a data archiving company". Errm your starter for 10 .. so what I am paying them for then?

For the money do it yourself, it isn't that hard and I wouldn't trust a third party to be adept to do so.

JPN
Rising Star

More by luck than judgement, some years ago I replaced my Hi8 tape camera with a Digital 8 model.  I found out some time later that not only could I play back the Hi8 tapes on it, but that it would digitise them and send the output to the firewire port. I'm in the process of transferring nearly 30year old footage onto a PC and from thence to modern back ups with very little fuss.

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

One copy isn't a backup, particularly if it's kept onsite with the original, nor is it if you haven't checked as to whether you can actually restore the data from it...

For important stuff I use the 3-2-1 strategy, i.e 3 copies on two different storage mediums and one must be offsite
Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Exactly @DaveyH

Given I am at my place, my parents (not far away), and say I worked for PlusNet.

I would store one copy of the Blu Ray at each location. I am sure PlusNet (or any employer) wouldn't mind you keeping a Blu Ray in your drawer.

I don't work there of course, but good point, I will burn a second Blu Ray to my parents.

Good way of taking 2 additional off-site backups though Smiley

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Alex wrote:

Exactly @DaveyH

I would store one copy of the Blu Ray at each location. I am sure PlusNet (or any employer) wouldn't mind you keeping a Blu Ray in your drawer.

That isn't a good strategy either.

My BiL once worked at a company that went bust and the employees only found out when turning up to work to a locked building on the Monday morning and a rep from a receiver informing they no longer had jobs.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've installed some high speed write-only memory in my PC to take copies of important pictures, videos and documents. You can write 5 terabytes to one small chip.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.