cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to analogue!

johpal
Grafter

Back to analogue!

Phil Specter once argued "Back to mono" when he was producing record albums. I wish to (re-?) start the "Back to analogue" campaign for broadcasting. Analogue TV hasn't disappeared from my region yet, but will in September 2011.
I awoke this morning to find (yet again) my Sky digibox was frozen, showing the last channel viewed and steadfastly refusing to change, whatever was selected from the EPG. The same type of fault manifests itself from time to time on the various Freeview boxes dotted around the home. The fix is simple enough, switch off at the socket, count to 10, switch on again. This just happens with monotonous regularity. Digital audio is also unreliable on a portable device; months ago I reverted to my analogue personal radio for the journey to work on the bus. The digital signal disappears in a slurry of "mud" at the bottom of the valleys and only returns again heading to the brow of the hills.  Sad
14 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Back to analogue!

You'll get no argument from me johpal. Soon as we get a bit of bad weather, particularly mist or fog, there is interference.  I am dreading the switch off.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

If you mean TV, poppy, it may not be so bad - transmitter power will increase when the analogue is switched off.
Not young enough to know everything
barky
Grafter

Was a massive improvement here switching over to digital terrestrial ... was expecting to have to upgrade aerial BUT strong signal is received with old one.
Do get occasional freezes - only 2  that I've noticed & patience was the only thing to use .... presume it was transmitter maintenance &/or a power failure at other end.
Community Veteran

Can't wait for my signal strength to be increased so that I can appreciate my HD channels better.  Coming in April they tell me Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

pity they cant make there mind up, last time I looked Sudbury was March 12th now its July,  Crystal Palace is next year see below
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We are in a strong signal area for winter hill but to be honest I have not noticed any improvement in the quality of the picture and that's on a 2 year old Sony Bravia.
On a few occasions the picture has been 'Blocky' for a few seconds but the main problem which has not been improved on is the B........Y poor sound.
Instead of Digital, 3D TV, and the other things why don't they make some effort to improve the sound. Old B&W films, adverts,news broadcasts are very clear but some programs have sound that is either mumbled or has background music much higher than the speech !
Community Veteran

I can certainly see a difference in the HD signal, even on low power, on some programmes but not all.  Sport is the big winner.
N/A

On the subject of high definition, the OH read something in a satellite magazine about the visual perception of this in the over fifties.  Basically, the author said that in older people it was of little benefit as the deterioration in vision makes the difference negligible.  I know that my eyesight is not what it was but it's a bit depressing.  Sad
Anyone else read this?
Fixes: 47

I did have to put on my glasses to read it Poppy Cry Wink
The thought had occurred to me before but I still can see a difference between SD and HD Smiley....and it's not psychological Tongue
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

The difference between SD and 720 is easily noticed but between 720 & 1080 is not always so easily distinguishable IMHO.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

johpal
Grafter

What screen size are you looking at and at what distance, to compare SD and HD? On my monster (46") between 12 and 16 feet, the difference is strikingly obvious! The sound (except on all ITV channels) for films is broadcast in Dolby 5.1 so the home cinema system kicks in and improves the experience further.
Incidentally, the Japanese transmitted HD in analogue for years.

42" plasma at around 12 '. If I watch a movie in 720 then the same movie in 1080 Ther is a difference but certainly not as great as the difference between the same movie in HD and 720.
Haven't got round to getting a surround system. I have a CreativeLabs system connected to the PC but not sure if I could use it with the TV - doubt it, though.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I read the report that Poppy refers to.  I can see the difference but it's not as great a difference as I expected.  As I said earlier sport is much better.  Maybe it will improve when we go on full power.

Quote from: poppy
You'll get no argument from me johpal. Soon as we get a bit of bad weather, particularly mist or fog, there is interference.  I am dreading the switch off.

When I lived at my parents mist, fog and rain caused no problems but when hot and sunny and we got lots of pixelation and loss of audio.