cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW TV

Fixes: 125

BW TV

It seems that there are still around 11,500 households who have a BW TV Licence.
They are generally regarded as historic relics and part of a bygone era of broadcasting history.
But even in today’s digital age there are 11,550 households in the country still watching black and white television, official figures reveal.
The number of black and white licences have dropped dramatically in recent years and the total has decreased by a further 12 per cent over the past year.

With the digital switch-over now complete there can't be many areas that can pick up an analogue signal and places like London and Manchester are mentioned in the article.
Are these BW licence holders being honest or are they playing the system? Do we really believe there are still that many who use BW sets only? Or perhaps you think the actually number may be higher?
Please don't turn this into a rant about the licence fee as that has been done many times over the last few years Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

16 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: BW TV

I didn't realise analogue was still being transmitted Undecided
*Strat goes to check
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Someone who is blind may only require a B&W TV so they can listen to the audio on the transmission rather than watching the picture. I don't know if there are concessions for the blind anyway though.

Blind people can get a 50% concession on both BW and colour.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I'd rather pay 50% of the B&W licence fee if I couldn't see it than 50% of the colour licence fee  Grin
Community Veteran

Surely, there are no analogue transmissions now, and no BW digital TVs?  Undecided
Geoff,
York.

Perhaps they have simply turned down the colour adjustment? Does that count?

Community Veteran

I thought analogue TV was discontinued everywhere with London being the last area in 2012.  Undecided
Surely the  B&W licence would be something that would have been picked up by the licencing authorities when renewal was due. Undecided

I read that Milton Keynes was the last place to have any kind of analogue television available up to 2013.
However a Wikipedia article states
In the United Kingdom, the terrestrial switchover started on 17 October 2007 and was completed on 24 October 2012
So where are these people getting their signal from....the Central African Republic Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

of course they could have had a set top box fitted free as part of the digital changeover with a coax feed to the tv
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What about if you have a Freeview set top box with a black and white television connected? The Freeview box will be colour capable so does that or the TV capability apply.
Can you still receive B&W analogue from Eire or France? The licence applies when watching live TV irrespective of whether it is a UK station you are watching.
Edit: If I hadn't put that second point I might have posted before Jim!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)

Good point jelv. I would have thought the receiving equipment (Freeview box) would determine the licence required just like a TV card for a computer.
Community Veteran

Is not the wording "watch" rather than "receive"?
Geoff,
York.

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.
It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

Does that mean I can get a refund for the periods that my TV is off Undecided
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8/

[quote=TV Licensing]You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcastFrom the licensing website it seems that the only way you can obtain a BW license is by telephoning.