cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT unveils its mobile phone battle plans:

TORPC
Grafter

BT unveils its mobile phone battle plans:

[quote= http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2683838/BT-unveil-mobile-phone-battle-plans-week.html]BT will launch mobile phones for business customers next week as it re-enters the market after a decade’s absence.
The former telecoms monopoly has been working for more than a year developing its service, which will be unveiled next Thursday.
The announcement will herald a re-entry into the sphere it quit in 2001 when it sold off the Cellnet division, which is now called O2.
Next Thursday, BT’s business arm will release its prices and packages for small and medium sized firms.

Now then
Where was some of these words echoed (Recently)
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: BT unveils its mobile phone battle plans:

Community Veteran

I used to be with BT bobile many years ago when it was Cellnet. They were excellent and I was sorry when they sold out to O2, although I've had good service from them as well. Smiley
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

celnet direct was fantastic but if you ended up with one of there billing partner companies you were getting screwed .......

I had such a contract when they released the a109 with the 20 day brick battery and the extra long range antenna, it was a great handset and coverage across the country could easily be compensated for by using the larger antenna when on a hill top Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: nanotm

the extra long range antenna,
it was a great handset and coverage across the country could easily be compensated for by using the larger antenna when on a hill top Smiley

like this one....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32369450@N02/11622156264/in/photostream
can`t quite see it? ..... try this....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32369450@N02/11622024113/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32369450@N02/11622167564/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32369450@N02/11622030243/in/photostream/
nanotm
Pro

amusing but no I was referring to the half meter whip that you could swap the standard screw in stubby for, in town the stubby was perfect but in some of the more remote locations I visited the whip was required to get a signal .... the down side of course being it used up the battery in a few minutes ......
WTF
Grafter

BT must be doing a Virgin and piggy backing on someone else's network - it's not like they're going build an enytire new mobile network for a few business customers!  I wonder who's it is?
Bit of a risk for BT, I would have thought: their services have have a pretty good rep for quality (if not price).  Using someone else's network effectively puts that reputation in the hands of a competitor.  Most customers won't know or care that the network is run by another company.  But then, I guess it's no different from BT's BB and phone competitors and their relationship with BT Wink
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

I hope when they launch, an app like O2 TuGO will be available, great for when there is no signal or abroad, Three and EE should be launching an app like this soon
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/10822618/BT-gears-up-for-...
The company plans to use a mixture of technologies to challenge Britain’s four mobile operators: EE, O2, Three and Vodafone.
It has signed a deal to allow its customers to use EE’s network, and will augment it with its existing network of 5.4m Wi-Fi hotspots and its own 4G network, which will use radio spectrum it bought for £190m in an Ofcom auction last year.

Regards
Mike
Mike
nanotm
Pro

given there webpage says there getting a new partner I'd have to say you were correct although it also suggests that business customers can get something called a BT assist unit and earn money for running it so there clearly planning to have there partner network as a backup rather than as a primary provider
pwatson
Rising Star

***Non-sequitur  alert***
Why does the availability of the BT Signal Assist unit imply that the new partner network is a backup to an existing primary?
Not sure where you've read that a business can earn revenue for using it either...
Community Veteran

@WTF, I read that BT were using the EE network. I wonder if this is a temporary measure until they get their own network Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Maybe BT have secret nano/pico/femto/whatever cell transceivers built into all the recent homehubs, that would probably give them a half-decent network in most built-up areas.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: pwatson
***Non-sequitur  alert***
Why does the availability of the BT Signal Assist unit imply that the new partner network is a backup to an existing primary?
Not sure where you've read that a business can earn revenue for using it either...

why make a post with a disclaimer that its irrelevant? 
@w23
given that they have already announced plans to "activate the 4g capability in the home hub's" you just might be right
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
@WTF, I read that BT were using the EE network. I wonder if this is a temporary measure until they get their own network Undecided

I guess using EE makes sense as they apparently have the best coverage (though the missus almost always has better reception on O2 than I have on EE).
My guess is that the deal could be quite long term as I can't see BT building a 3G network at this stage in the life of that tech.  I guess Mike's suggestion makes sense: do a 3 and use someone else's legacy network (2G in 3's case) while building their own 4G network - maybe using pico/femto transceivers.
Community Veteran

@WTF, funny you mention coverage. In Essex I get better coverage with O2. I left EE (then Orange) because there were parts of the county where they didn't have coverage.