Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT to drop Microsoft for Linux

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

BT to drop Microsoft for Linux

In their set-top vision boxes
See <a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/03/bt_vision_upgrade/">HERE</a>
Goodbye Windows, hello Linux
Now BT plans an ambitious over-the-internet upgrade to over half a million customers, with Windows CE being replaced by a Linux variant
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: BT to drop Microsoft for Linux

I can't help but wonder how many people will complain about it.[
Also, what happens to those users who are almost at their data usage limit? - That upgrade could push them over!
Well done BT, thought out well as always Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ooops my set top box is brick like. Is that because I switched it off when the funny lights were flashing for a long time?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont care, think my Humax is linux.
But TV,  Three PVR and set top box.  Keep that for over the air, none connected to the internet
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
Also, what happens to those users who are almost at their data usage limit? - That upgrade could push them over!
Well done BT, thought out well as always Wink

Can I accuse you of posting before thinking? BT Vision boxes only work on BT Broadband and a significant amount of data is not logged against usage, for example BTFON, and Openzone-H.
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Can I accuse you of posting before thinking? BT Vision boxes only work on BT Broadband and a significant amount of data is not logged against usage, for example BTFON, and Openzone-H.

You most certainly can, however because I'm not a BT customer, know nothing about their packages, and its been brought up on a non-BT forum, I think that accusation would be a bit pointless.
Almost the weekend Wink
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
In their set-top vision boxes
See <a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/03/bt_vision_upgrade/">HERE</a>

At least the article mentioned that BT was stopped developing this in the 90's. Part of the reason that the telecommunications is not at a higher standard is because BT hands were tied to allow 3rd parties into the market.
The BT Vision launch relied on consumer research from the 1990s when BT wanted to introduce a movies-only VoD system, but was initially prevented due to its communications dominance at the time.
Community Veteran

I didn't click the link. I just saw the initial comments and posted hence the lack of thought Wink