cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT technician coming this afternoon

Denzil
Grafter

BT technician coming this afternoon

...hopefully. For the last three months or so my connection has been regularly dropping out completely during the afternoon, which is pushing the noise margin right up and the connection speed right down. The faults team have arranged an engineer visit, and requested that he call me an hour before so I can get home in time. (I am too busy at work to take an afternoon off).
Any bets on whether he will actually call, or whether I will get home later to find a card saying, "sorry I missed you"?  Cheesy
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: BT technician coming this afternoon

Answers on a postcard Wink  Tongue
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Would be interested to know if he does miss you, if you still get charged for his visit ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And.....
AT  17:15.......
the answer is.................................................................................?
jmd
Grafter

Well, before Christmas I had no incoming phone calls so after I did all the checks requested Sky arranged for a BT man to check the line so he came and repeated what I had done and said oh must be at exchange.  I was told he would come between 1 and 2pm that day and he did arrive at 1pm.  He went off to exchange and rang me at 3pm and said it was a fault there and piece of equipment was being replaced.
Still having problems so I contacted them again on the Saturday and was told they would arrange BT to check at exchange.
However, at 8am on the Sunday [I was only just dressed] a knocking at door set the dog off barking and came down to find a BT man on doorstep who said I believe you cannot get incoming calls?  So said had not had any for 2 weeks but a colleague of his had  had come two days previously and said he would sort it at exchange and replace equipment.  This one was told it was a new fault!  So he rang my number to check and it worked!! I was amazed and reckoned that he had sorted it but someone had not finished it off until this new one rung them!  
Fortunately they did not charge me for the unwanted early morning visit!  And Sky refunded  a whole month rental and calls charge with an apology for the inconvenience caused by BT.
So sometimes BT works and sometimes it doesn't!
or sometimes they come when expected and sometimes it is unexpected!
Community Veteran

Thats why I know them as Bad Telecom.
I'm sure bad could be substituted for a word thats much stronger Wink
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
And.....
AT   17:15.......
the answer is.................................................................................?

Gimme a chance! I don't spend my whole life in front of a PC Smiley
Well, all credit to him, he called to let me know he was on his way, so I drove home to meet him. He replaced the master socket and re-jumpered the connections in the green box, but couldn't find a cause for the afternoon drop. Who knows, maybe the fresh joints will do the trick. It has made a difference already. My sync rate is currently 1856kbps, which is about 600kpbs more than I got before, and the profile is currently a whopping 1.5Mbps Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Time will tell if it stays there!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yipeeeeee !..... glad to hear it worked out ok for you..  Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

Well, that didn't last very long. Sad Roll on fibre optic.
Community Veteran

Get a dongle for backup Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Denzil
Well, that didn't last very long. Sad Roll on fibre optic.

That's showing a very high FEC rate...  you have a noisy line. The technician should be able to check for this on his equipment.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Get a dongle for backup Wink

I assume that you have not read the Which report on mobile internet connections, even more complaints than fixed line.