rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

BT should sell OR

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35388756
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: BT should sell OR

Yep read that this morning. But I think that what they should do will be very different from what is actually done. I can't see it happening myself.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

the first paragraph made e disregard the story.
if they can't get the first "fact" correct then i'm not reading any further
BT should be forced to sell the country's leading broadband provider because of poor performance, a report backed by 121 cross-party MPs has said.
Community Veteran

An interesting report for those that read it. Something has to be done with OR. It needs to be made more accountable. Selling it would be a good idea, there would be no lack of interest in buying into it. Another possibility is to sell it to the main companies that use it such a Virgin, Talk Talk and of course BT etc.
itsme
Grafter

If Joe public research this they will find that the situation with Openreach is no different to other countries. There also a few countries that have sold off the equivalent to Openreach with no improvement in service.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

OR defiantly needs a Kick up the ****e because  to sort themselves out
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

A bold proactive decision is needed for the benefit of the UK economy and those of us who use the internet every day.

Perhaps I'd benefit from at least one Internet free day per week. I must be using the Internet wrong anyway, since I don't seem to need 10Mbps or 50Mbps or 1Gbps or whatever people are going on about that they want but can't get.
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Selling it would be a good idea, there would be no lack of interest in buying into it.

Really?
It would IMO be a total repeat of Railtrack fiasco  - on steroids.
The parallels in terms of an newly created and independent infrastructure owner seem pretty perfect.
The only smart arrrrses interested in buying it would be those who see it as a cash cow to be milked as a monopoly where they jack up the prices and invest next to nothing.
Just think as a fully independent entity requiring to balance the books and return a profit we could have variable line rentals to reflect the length of the line thereby giving some relationship to likely maintenance costs, so those with the longest lines (and the worst BB) pay the most.......
Community Veteran

Quote from: x47c
be a total repeat of Railtrack fiasco  - on steroids

Like water.
Jack up the prices till the water melon pips squeak.
Sell off surplus land meant for future reservoirs.
Keep asking for more money to repair a crumbling infrastructure that the new owners have allowed to crumble.
Pray for lots of rain.
Keep jacking up the prices.
Keep jacking up the prices.
The same could be and has been said many times for all the privatised utilities.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: x47c
Quote from: artmo
Selling it would be a good idea, there would be no lack of interest in buying into it.

Really?
It would IMO be a total repeat of Railtrack fiasco  - on steroids.

I personally find that to be a bit insensitive. Railtrack were responsible for people DYING due to their profiteering negligence. I was on a train one day talking to a train driver who openly said to me he was often worried about driving trains because he'd seen so many chairs without bolts holding them to the sleepers since RT had taken over.
Now considering the people who died as a result of that, can you really say that a company that manages a bunch of fibre cables and green boxes at the side of the road is as dangerous as Railtrack or worse (or on steroids as you put it) ? Those people who died were important to their families you know.
I'll agree BT are too big and need addressing but i can't agree with your comparison.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

the problem with OR is the way BT were forced to spin them into a separated part of the business, the minute that happened the service level went downhill, every time the labour parties model of effective management (make more management levels) was utilised in the past it screwed things up, it did it to the NHS the post office the various regulatory branches (were all split into multiple parts often doing identical roles with no clear identification of those responsible for each thing)
what BT as a whole needs is streamlining under one top tier of management with each sub department being directly controlled by a single director who reports to the board to bring it back on track an speed up how it operates with clear lines of responsibility for each level of management, something that would link cause and effect in each department, as to operating costs and other mumbo jumbo they spout off about, they would greatly reduce instead of constantly increase the operating costs under a leaner structure and thus be able to operate under a much more transparent simple operating model devoid of the ability to undermine regulatory authority, constantly pushing to split up the single point of contact for problems will only further harm business operations (look at the mess the hull area was in thanks to Kingston with the arbitrary line on the map leaving whole streets without any form of communications for years)
if only the centrist agenda group that wants full federalisation of the country under an EU leadership with regional governance groups responsible for all of the infrastructure (so we end up like china or America where some places are great and the rest are broke with zero funding and zero initiative at the local level because the unelected "troika" in charge will be unwilling to upset their personal gravy train.
whilst I agree that change is required I would much rather prefer to see that change enacted as a nationwide overhaul with a single central point of control, with a single manager being told by the parliamentary committee "make this happen" and getting held accountable if not achieved, right now some director of some part of the group appears and the director general appears and they don't actually work in the relevant group but are good at playing the game ..... there is no game if your play honestly ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you