Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT saga - and advice

WildRose52
Grafter

BT saga - and advice

Below, is a mix of both COMEDY and ADVICE :-

never....  NEVER......    N E V E R.........    (if you ever leave PlusNet)  NEVER GO TO BT !
......and here`s my experience :

I left BT in February / March  (broadband transferred first, followed by my phone a couple of weeks later)
I had been a long & loyal customer of BT for many years, and always paid my bills on time by D/Debit.
I was paying them £50.00 a month which covered my broadband /phone /phone calls.
However, BT became greedy and told me they were going to `up` my payments to £62.50 a month.
The idea being that they were wanting customers to be THREE MONTHS IN ADVANCE.
As you might guess:  I did not approve, and told them :  `no way! - I will leave you`
I obtained my MAC code and came over to PlusNet with no problems.
Upon discovering I meant what I said;  BT decided to get `nasty`  (for want of a much better word!)  and
send me a `provisional bill`  for £100.00
Clearly I knew that my final month with them was not going to be that much, so I telephoned BT and told
them :  `no way....  you are not getting £100.00,  but if you send me my final bill I will happily pay it`
On or around the end of MARCH....  3 letters from BT arrived in the post.
1st one :  Your final payment is late.  Please pay £43.67 straight away.  Dated 27 Mar 2010
2nd one:  Final reminder to pay.  Please pay £43.67 immediately.    Dated 27 Mar 2010
3rd one:  Debt Recovery Unit.  Debt Recovery Notice of Intention.  Dated 27 Mar 2010
What bill?  so far I had NOT received a bill.
On or around the 7th /8th April -  the final bill from BT finally arrived.  Dated  5 APRIL 2010
I telephoned BT and spoke to an exceptionally nice member of staff and explained everything that
had happened so far.
He told me :  `you have been a very loyal customer, and had I spoken to you at the beginning then I would
not have let you leave, but would have sorted out your monthly payments`
I asked this BT gentleman :  `can I pay this bill in 2 halves....  namely on 26th April and 3rd May.
He went to speak to his supervisor, and came back and told me :  `that is fine`
As promised, and while I was out this morning I have made a payment to BT,  and I shall be settling the
remainder of the bill this Friday  (being Bank Holiday Monday etc)
Thinking this was the end of this war between me and BT.....    you can imagine my shock when I came
home and found that BT had now handed this small amount to `Moorcroft Debt Recovery Limited`
A letter from Moorcroft was threatening Court action!
and they even had the cheek to add £10.91  to the bill amount!
By now, WildRose52 was well and truly on the war path.    Enough is enough!
Having grabbed myself a cup of coffee.......    it was now time to declare war on ALL of these fools and idiots!
I explained to Moorcroft Debt Recovery that I had made a payment this morning, and that the remainder would
be paid in full this Friday  (several days earlier than originally promised)
They proceeded to tell me :  `You will need to send US proof of the payment`
To which I replied :  `NO WAY am I sending you my phone bill, my arrangement is with BT`
I also left them in no doubt what they could do with their £10.91 administration cost!!
Next.....    back on the phone to BT......
.....and another very helpful gentleman, who apologised on behalf of BT, and asked would I be happy to remain
on the phone while he phoned Moorcroft Debt Recovery TO TAKE THE BILL BACK FROM THEM.
He assures me this is what he has done.
By now, of course, you will no doubt have realised the sheer lunacy of this situation.
For starters :  WHY did BT send out TWO demands to pay & a threat of debt recovery  (3 letters) on 27 March,
for a bill which was dated 5th April -  and which only arrived AFTER those other three letters?
(am I meant to have a crystal ball or what?)
There`s got to be a moral to this story surely......    and I think its this.....
NO matter what anyone`s complaint against PlusNet......    then I cannot possibly imagine them improving upon
the lunacy of BT !!!!!!!!
Therefore, let us all be THANKFUL with what we have got here at PlusNet.
Admittingly they did make one error in my Billing when I first signed up, and by which I was double-billed, but the
staff on the `rants & raves` forum looked into it immediately, and I did receive a refund.
This was a more understandable error whilst it was while they were setting up my account (and I hold no grievance
for that error)
As I sit here typing -  looking at these lunatic letters from BT  -  I am seriously considering telephoning the
Daily Mail Online.
They ripped into BT a few months back for the way they had dealt with a customer....  and right now I am in the mood
for giving the Daily Mail enough evidence to repeat that.
I make no apology for hoping that all the phones go down at BT.
It is my belief they do NOT deserve to have any customers.
Long live PlusNet.

9 REPLIES
WildRose52
Grafter

Re: BT saga - and advice

Oops sorry, I forgot this as well.....

I also received a letter from BT - dated 22nd March -  saying :  TERMINATION NOTICE.
(please pay £100.32 immediately.  We are about to terminate your contract)

Ha ha ha.....  by 22nd March - I HAD ALREADY LEFT BT !!!
Even my phone line had come over to PlusNet.
Needless to say:  I did at this point proceed to tell BT :  `Go ahead, you might just find I am no longer your customer` !!!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

It might be worth doing a check on your credit file to make sure non of the erroneous Debt Recovery action ever got on your file.
WildRose52
Grafter

MisterW
Oh thanks for that.  I hadnt thought of it.
I`m still trying to get my head round how they operate.
I cant help but wonder how many other ppl could be out there who are maybe
more easily intimidated than I am,  do end up fearful of companies like BT. 
(elderly ppl for example)   
I hate bullies - and more & more companies nowadays are using bully-tactics. 
I just give them back more than they give  Grin
I would have thought in the current economic climate that phone companies like
BT would be wanting to retain customers, not drive them into the hands of other
ISPs.
Maybe smaller companies are best, they seem more appreciative.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Im not scared of them, They are rogues in my eyes, I am due them one hundred G.B.P. but im not due them that at all and will fight my case, As far as im concerned this Rogue company can whistle!!
WildRose52
Grafter

Below, (and as I suspected) looks like I`m not the only one who`s had
trouble with BT`s rogue payments :
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/telecommunications-services/bt-broadband/1348382/
No doubt their misdeeds will catch up with them eventually when they find their
customers moving to other companies.
paulpicks21
Grafter

We had a lucky escape from signing up with BT.
I had just payed the full outstanding balance to get away from the awful service Virgin media were providing and received my MAC code.
At 1st I thought our options were very limited as we had the phone line through Virgin and needed to choose another company that would also supply a phone service.
So straight away I went to BT and chose a package and filled in all the details etc. I got to pretty much the last screen and the swines wanted £100 in advance immediatly!
Of course that was the end of that.
Next I continued my search , I headed over to talktalk as that was the next name that sprang to mind , they said the soonest we would be connected was 40 days!!
So that was the end of that lol.
And finally I had the pleasure to stumble across Plusnet. No advance payment required and connected within 10 days.  Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

You also had an even luckier escape from TalkTalk  Wink
WildRose52
Grafter

Nadger >    You also had an even luckier escape from TalkTalk 

Agree.
I`d rang TalkTalk after deciding to leave BT. 
Then when I found PlusNet I rang them too.
For a few days I was quite undecided between the two.
Fortunately, TalkTalk showed their true colours by harrassing me
day & night with phone calls asking :  have you decided yet?
Oh I soon decided - but it wasnt in favour of TalkTalk.
I dont like pushy companies either.
If they need to be pushy it means they`re desperate (or greedy)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

or on commission  Grin